Subject: bug#2414: 23.0.90; use dired-guess-default too for minibuffer-default-add-shell-commands

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 04 Dec 2021 22:27:18 +0100

"Drew Adams" <[email-masked]> writes:

> `dired-guess-default' is defined in dired-x.el, but it has nothing to
> do with Dired, AFAICT, so there is no reason that it should not be
> available (and used) generally.
>
> And variables `dired-guess-shell-alist-user' and
> `dired-guess-shell-alist-default' should also be factored out of
> dired-x.el. They too are not Dired-related, AFAICT.

Well...  they are dired-specific, because they're only used in dired.
(And using them elsewhere would be pretty surprising.)

Emacs does have a problem in this area, though -- I'm guessing there's a
dozen different packages that define similar functionality (i.e.,
"what's in mailcap but with some extras"), and consolidating these would
be nice.  But the problem is that there's different use cases -- the
things a person wants to do in Dired isn't necessarily what they'd want
to do in Gnus when receiving an attachment).

And so we're where we are.

So I don't want to make the minibuffer function depend on Dired, and I
don't want to make these things non-Dired-applicable (because that'd
annoy people who have customised their Dired experience), so there's
nothing actionable left here, and I'm closing this bug report.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no