Subject: bug#24134: closed (Re: bug#24134: problem with fgrep - only matches if I leave off the last character of the line)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2016 16:55:02 +0000

Your bug report

#24134: problem with fgrep - only matches if I leave off the last character of the line

which was filed against the grep package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
24134: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=24134
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#24134: problem with fgrep - only matches if I leave off the last character of the line
From: Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>
To: SZIGETVÁRI János <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2016 09:54:43 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

SZIGETVÁRI János wrote:
> I tried to look for already closed bugs that looked similar, but I did not
> manage to find anything similar.

Thanks for the bug report. We have fixed several bugs with fgrep since grep 2.16 
came out. For what it's worth, I could not reproduce the bug with grep 2.20 
(RHEL 6.8) either. Since the bug does not appear to occur with recent grep 
versions, I'm inclined to close the bug report.

Subject: problem with fgrep - only matches if I leave off the last character of the line
From: SZIGETVÁRI János <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2016 14:37:33 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Dear Developer Team,

I have encountered a problem related to fgrep, while I was trying to search
back and forth in a file filled with a number of log messages.
I have managed to narrow down the input file to a few lines, and also wrote
a reproduction guide for it.
I have checked it with a few different grep versions, but not all seemed to
be affected.
Grep 2.6.3 (CentOS 6) and 2.16 (Ubuntu 14.04) were, and 2.25 (Unbuntu
16.04) wasn't.

The problem basically was, that I was fgrepping for messages in syslog-ng
debug logs, and I was looking for matches that matched the log lines, that
were sent to syslog-ng (ie. messages about incoming log messages), and
there were a few messages, where there was no match for the whole message,
but if I removed the last character of the string I was grepping for, then
it did return a match.
The match also showed the character I removed previously, so it was unclear
why there was no match with the last character, and why there was without...

I tried to look for already closed bugs that looked similar, but I did not
manage to find anything similar.

Thanks for your help!

Best Regards,
János Szigetvári

-- 
Janos SZIGETVARI
RHCE, License no. 150-053-692
<https://www.redhat.com/rhtapps/verify/?certId=150-053-692>

E-mail: [email-masked]
Phone: +36209440412 (Hungary)

__@__˚V˚
Make the switch to open (source) applications, protocols, formats now:
- windows -> Linux, iexplore -> Firefox, msoffice -> LibreOffice
- msn -> jabber protocol (Pidgin, Google Talk)
- mp3 -> ogg, wmv -> ogg, jpg -> png, doc/xls/ppt -> odt/ods/odp