Subject: Re: bug#24119: 25.1; suspend-frame "freezes" Emacs under i3-wm

From: Noam Postavsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2016 10:22:13 -0400

On Sun, Jul 31, 2016 at 10:03 AM, Benjamin Riefenstahl
<[email-masked]> wrote:
> When I incidentially press C-z under i3-wm, Emacs stops.  The window
> stays up (there is no "iconify" under i3-wm), but the cursor does not
> blink any more and keystrokes do not have an effect.  The menus still
> seem to work and once I have dropped down a menu, I can again edit text.
> Still the cursor does not blink and it is hollow.  Usually all goes back
> to normal when I switch buffers or when I go to another program and than
> back to Emacs.

Similar to #23583, I have different (though still odd) behaviour. The
cursor stops blinking and turns hollow as if Emacs lost focus, but it
still reponds to keystrokes normally. Switching programs/workspaces
back and forth brings things back to normal. Also hitting C-g in a
minibuffer prompt(!?)

Same behaviour with both emacs-25 and master.

i3 4.12, X.org 1.18.3

I configured --with-x-toolkit=lucid, not gtk, perhaps that's important.

Configured using:
 'configure --cache-file=../debug-config.cache 'CFLAGS=-O0 -g3
 -march=native' --enable-checking MAKEINFO=makeinfo-4.13a
 --with-x-toolkit=lucid --without-toolkit-scroll-bars --with-gif=no
 --with-jpeg=no'

Configured features:
XPM TIFF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND GPM DBUS GCONF GSETTINGS NOTIFY ACL
GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB LUCID X11 LIBSYSTEMD