Subject: bug#24117: 25.1; url-http-create-request: Multibyte text in HTTP request

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2016 17:47:37 +0300

> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked],
>  [email-masked]
> From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
> Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2016 05:52:42 +0300
> 
> >> On the master branch, host is passed through IDNA encoding, but
> >> real-fname is untouched. On emacs-25, I think we should convert both
> >> to unibyte.
> >
> > Not sure I understand why there should be a difference between the two
> > branches.  Encoding an ASCII string doesn't do any harm.
> 
> Since it's ASCII, using utf-8 there seems misleading to me. It's a 
> question of readability.

But AFAIU it doesn't have to be ASCII, it could include non-ASCII
characters, no?

> As a bonus, using us-ascii will validate that the strings indeed do
> not contain any unexpected characters.

If we did allow non-ASCII characters until now, we will definitely
hear from someone who'd say this is a regression.

> Thanks. Attaching a patch, it seems to work well enough.

LGTM, modulo the considerations about the encoding.

Thanks.