Subject: bug#24116: [bug-diffutils] bug#24116: [platform-testers] new snapshot available: diffutils-3.3.50-0353

From: Eric Blake <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2016 10:21:20 -0600

On 08/05/2016 07:13 AM, Harald van Dijk wrote:

> 
> Unfortunately, POSIX currently requires the export command to not have
> any magic quoting, and any POSIX-conforming shell will make
> 
>     a="b c=d"
>     export a=$a
> 
> set a to b, and c to d. Not so with bash, but that's because bash simply
> isn't POSIX-conforming, even if invoked as sh.

Not quite so fast.

> 
> POSIX will require special quoting rules for the export command in the
> future, similar to what bash does today. When it does, dash is likely to
> change to match that, and the local command will likely be changed to
> work the same way.

POSIX has already issued an interpretation request, and therefore, any
CURRENT implementations (including bash) that already behave as
permitted by the interpretation ARE conforming.  Dash is still currently
conforming per the current version of POSIX, but will be non-conforming
when the interpretation request goes live in the next revision of POSIX,
while bash is already conforming both now and in the future revision,
without change.  So I would suggest that dash make the change to
implement assignment context to 'export', 'readonly', and 'local'
sooner, rather than later.

http://austingroupbugs.net/view.php?id=351

-- 
Eric Blake   eblake redhat com    +1-919-301-3266
Libvirt virtualization library http://libvirt.org