Subject: 24.5; Long lines in message mode make Emacs irresponsive

From: Christophe Troestler <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2016 12:36:46 +0100

I am using mu4e <https://github.com/djcb/mu/> to read my mail and a spam 
mail with a very long subject line seems to trigger a bug in Emacs.  You 
can see the details (including a backtrace) at 
https://github.com/djcb/mu/issues/880

In GNU Emacs 24.5.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.18.9)
 of 2016-04-08 on binet, modified by Debian
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 
11.0.11804000
System Description:	Debian GNU/Linux testing (stretch)

Configured using:
 `configure --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var/lib --infodir=/usr/share/info
 --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs24:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/24.5/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/24.5/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr --sharedstatedir=/var/lib
 --libexecdir=/usr/lib --localstatedir=/var/lib
 --infodir=/usr/share/info --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs24:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/24.5/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/24.5/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --with-x=yes --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-toolkit-scroll-bars
 'CFLAGS=-g -O2 -fstack-protector-strong -Wformat
 -Werror=format-security -Wall' 'CPPFLAGS=-Wdate-time
 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2' LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro'
Important settings:
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LC_MONETARY: en_GB.UTF-8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: en_GB.UTF-8
  value of $LC_TIME: en_GB.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Tuareg

Minor modes in effect:
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  flyspell-mode: t
  TeX-PDF-mode: t
  merlin-mode: t
  erc-list-mode: t
  erc-menu-mode: t
  erc-autojoin-mode: t
  erc-ring-mode: t
  erc-networks-mode: t
  erc-pcomplete-mode: t
  erc-track-mode: t
  erc-track-minor-mode: t
  erc-match-mode: t
  erc-button-mode: t
  erc-fill-mode: t
  erc-stamp-mode: t
  erc-netsplit-mode: t
  erc-irccontrols-mode: t
  erc-noncommands-mode: t
  erc-move-to-prompt-mode: t
  erc-readonly-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
[mu4e] Retrieving mail...done
[mu4e] Indexing... processed 79000, updated 2
[mu4e] Indexing completed; processed 79666, updated 2, cleaned-up 0
[mu4e] Contacts received: 9878
Making completion list... [6 times]
Please enter a number.
Quit
Making completion list...
2 days, 12 hours, 28 minutes, 51 seconds
Making completion list...

Load-path shadows:
/home/trch/software/mu/mu4e/mu4e-meta hides 
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/mu4e/mu4e-meta
/home/trch/software/mu/mu4e/mu4e-vars hides 
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/mu4e/mu4e-vars
/home/trch/software/mu/mu4e/mu4e-message hides 
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/mu4e/mu4e-message
/home/trch/software/mu/mu4e/mu4e-actions hides 
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/mu4e/mu4e-actions
/home/trch/software/mu/mu4e/mu4e-compose hides 
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/mu4e/mu4e-compose
/home/trch/software/mu/mu4e/mu4e-utils hides 
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/mu4e/mu4e-utils
/home/trch/software/mu/mu4e/mu4e-mark hides 
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/mu4e/mu4e-mark
/home/trch/software/mu/mu4e/mu4e-headers hides 
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/mu4e/mu4e-headers
/home/trch/software/mu/mu4e/mu4e-contrib hides 
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/mu4e/mu4e-contrib
/home/trch/software/mu/mu4e/mu4e-lists hides 
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/mu4e/mu4e-lists
/home/trch/software/mu/mu4e/mu4e-main hides 
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/mu4e/mu4e-main
/home/trch/software/mu/mu4e/mu4e-proc hides 
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/mu4e/mu4e-proc
/home/trch/software/mu/mu4e/mu4e-context hides 
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/mu4e/mu4e-context
/home/trch/software/mu/mu4e/mu4e hides 
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/mu4e/mu4e
/home/trch/software/mu/mu4e/mu4e-view hides 
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/mu4e/mu4e-view
/home/trch/software/mu/mu4e/mu4e-draft hides 
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/mu4e/mu4e-draft
/home/trch/software/mu/mu4e/org-mu4e hides 
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/mu4e/org-mu4e
/home/trch/software/mu/mu4e/mu4e-speedbar hides 
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/mu4e/mu4e-speedbar
/home/trch/software/mu/mu4e/org-old-mu4e hides 
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/mu4e/org-old-mu4e
/home/trch/.emacs.d/elpa/ntlm-2.0.0/ntlm hides 
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/flim/ntlm
/usr/share/emacs/24.5/site-lisp/debian-startup hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/debian-startup
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/flim/hex-util hides 
/usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/hex-util
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/flim/md4 hides 
/usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/md4
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/flim/hmac-md5 hides 
/usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/net/hmac-md5
/home/trch/.emacs.d/elpa/ntlm-2.0.0/ntlm hides 
/usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/net/ntlm
/home/trch/.emacs.d/elpa/soap-client-3.1.1/soap-client hides 
/usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/net/soap-client
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/flim/sasl hides 
/usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/net/sasl
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/flim/sasl-cram hides 
/usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/net/sasl-cram
/home/trch/.emacs.d/elpa/soap-client-3.1.1/soap-inspect hides 
/usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/net/soap-inspect
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/flim/sasl-ntlm hides 
/usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/net/sasl-ntlm
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/flim/hmac-def hides 
/usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/net/hmac-def
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/flim/sasl-digest hides 
/usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/net/sasl-digest
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/context hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/context
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/tex-buf hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/tex-buf
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/tex-info hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/tex-info
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/tex-mik hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/tex-mik
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/tex-bar hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/tex-bar
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/tex-font hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/tex-font
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/tex-jp hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/tex-jp
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/tex hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/tex
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/toolbar-x hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/toolbar-x
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/plain-tex hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/plain-tex
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/latex hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/latex
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/tex-style hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/tex-style
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/preview hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/preview
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/context-en hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/context-en
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/texmathp hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/texmathp
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/context-nl hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/context-nl
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/bib-cite hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/bib-cite
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/multi-prompt hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/multi-prompt
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/tex-fold hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/tex-fold
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/font-latex hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/font-latex
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/prv-emacs hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/prv-emacs

Features:
(shadow emacsbug time debian-bug rect sh-script executable grep view
cal-china lunar solar cal-dst cal-islam holidays hol-loaddefs cal-move
css-mode qp mailalias flow-fill mail-extr sort network-stream starttls
tls tramp-cache tramp tramp-compat tramp-loaddefs diff-mode make-mode
markdown-mode etags trampver url-file url-dired url-cache eww mm-url
gnus gnus-ems nnheader shr dabbrev w3m-form mu4e-w3m conf-mode misearch
multi-isearch diary-lib diary-loaddefs latexenc reftex-auc preview
prv-emacs tex-buf reftex-dcr reftex reftex-vars latex tex-style tex-mode
shell org-element org-rmail org-mhe org-irc org-info org-gnus
org-docview org-bibtex org-bbdb org-w3m sgml-mode vc-git flyspell ispell
mule-util caml tuareg_indent tuareg compile smie caml-help font-latex
tex dbus crm bibtex merlin-compat merlin-cap merlin caml-types
caml-emacs tq log-edit pcvs-util add-log erc-list erc-menu erc-join
erc-ring erc-networks erc-pcomplete erc-track erc-match erc-button
erc-fill erc-stamp erc-netsplit erc-goodies erc erc-backend erc-compat
pp twittering-mode url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods
url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util mailcap xml org-mu4e org
org-macro org-footnote org-pcomplete pcomplete org-list org-faces
org-entities noutline outline easy-mmode org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob
ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-src ob-keys ob-comint
ob-core ob-eval org-compat org-macs org-loaddefs find-func mu-cite alist
std11 pccl pccl-20 advice pcustom poem poem-e20 poem-e20_3 pces pces-e20
pces-20 broken poe pym static apel-ver product mu4e-contrib mu4e desktop
frameset mu4e-speedbar speedbar sb-image ezimage dframe mu4e-main
mu4e-context mu4e-view cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs thingatpt comint
ansi-color ring mu4e-headers mu4e-compose mu4e-draft mu4e-actions ido
rfc2368 smtpmail sendmail mu4e-mark mu4e-message html2text mu4e-proc
mu4e-utils mu4e-lists mu4e-vars message cl-macs format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mailabbrev mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader hl-line cl gv
mu4e-meta w3m browse-url doc-view jka-compr dired image-mode timezone
w3m-hist w3m-fb bookmark-w3m w3m-ems wid-edit w3m-ccl ccl w3m-favicon
w3m-image w3m-proc w3m-util epa-file epa derived epg quail help-mode
edmacro kmacro paren server url-auth url-parse auth-source eieio
byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra cl-loaddefs cl-lib cconv
eieio-core gnus-util mm-util help-fns mail-prsvr password-cache url-vars
info easymenu package epg-config debian-el debian-el-loaddefs w3m-load
preview-latex tex-site auto-loads time-date tooltip electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process
dbusbind gfilenotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 584412 138900)
 (symbols 48 53583 12)
 (miscs 40 1246 1495)
 (strings 32 158999 74865)
 (string-bytes 1 4707806)
 (vectors 16 60689)
 (vector-slots 8 1902678 152456)
 (floats 8 943 292)
 (intervals 56 29894 2696)
 (buffers 960 91)
 (heap 1024 265606 14075))