Subject: Re: bug#24109: 24.5; Long lines in message mode make Emacs irresponsive

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2016 21:48:55 +0300

> From: John Mastro <[email-masked]>
> Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2016 11:30:12 -0700
> Cc: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>, [email-masked], [email-masked], 
> 	[email-masked]
> 
> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > Btw, line 1452 in fns.c is not in assq_no_quit, not in any Emacs 24.x
> > version (the bug is reported for 24.5).  In 25.1, line 1452 is indeed
> > inside assq_no_quit, so perhaps the version and/or line numbers are
> > reported incorrectly.
> 
> The apparent discrepancy is because the reporter is using 24.5 and
> reported the bug against that version, but the author/maintainer of mu4e
> reproduced the bug in 25.1 and posted the backtrace.

Thanks.

Assuming this problem can be reproduced at will by the reporters, the
best way forward is to use the technique described in etc/DEBUG for
finding the infinite loop, in the section named "If the symptom of the
bug is that Emacs fails to respond".  But before someone does that, I
suggest to rebuild Emacs without optimizations, as those can easily
lead the investigation astray.