Subject: bug#24109: closed (Re: bug#24109: 24.5; Long lines in message mode make Emacs irresponsive)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 08 Oct 2016 07:56:02 +0000

Your bug report

#24109: 24.5; Long lines in message mode make Emacs irresponsive

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
24109: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=24109
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#24109: 24.5; Long lines in message mode make Emacs irresponsive
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 08 Oct 2016 10:55:13 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> Date: Sun, 02 Oct 2016 10:09:53 +0300
> From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked],
> 	[email-masked]
> 
> > From: Yuri D'Elia <[email-masked]>
> > Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
> > Date: Sat, 01 Oct 2016 20:25:57 +0200
> > 
> > Ok, after some testing, I was able to get a self-contained test case.
> > I was successfully able to test this into the current git's master with
> > emacs -q, built with lucid as the main toolkit.
> > 
> > Please load-file the attached sample. It will create a *test* buffer,
> > using a quoted representation of (buffer-substring) which is sufficient
> > to recreate the problem.
> > 
> > It will move the point to the beginning of the last line, as well as
> > switching on truncate-lines. Having the point on the beginning of the
> > line is important.
> > 
> > Switch to the *test* buffer and move up. It will hang at the "Luciaine"
> > line. I'm also attaching a screenshot of my current window state.
> > 
> > If you toggle auto-hscroll-mode instead, before scrolling, you'll see
> > how the cursor disappears instead when exactly at the beginning of the
> > line.
> 
> Thanks, I will look into this soon.

Tis is now fixed on the emacs-25 branch.

Subject: 24.5; Long lines in message mode make Emacs irresponsive
From: Christophe Troestler <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2016 12:36:46 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I am using mu4e <https://github.com/djcb/mu/> to read my mail and a spam 
mail with a very long subject line seems to trigger a bug in Emacs.  You 
can see the details (including a backtrace) at 
https://github.com/djcb/mu/issues/880

In GNU Emacs 24.5.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.18.9)
 of 2016-04-08 on binet, modified by Debian
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 
11.0.11804000
System Description:	Debian GNU/Linux testing (stretch)

Configured using:
 `configure --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var/lib --infodir=/usr/share/info
 --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs24:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/24.5/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/24.5/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr --sharedstatedir=/var/lib
 --libexecdir=/usr/lib --localstatedir=/var/lib
 --infodir=/usr/share/info --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs24:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/24.5/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/24.5/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --with-x=yes --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-toolkit-scroll-bars
 'CFLAGS=-g -O2 -fstack-protector-strong -Wformat
 -Werror=format-security -Wall' 'CPPFLAGS=-Wdate-time
 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2' LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro'
Important settings:
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LC_MONETARY: en_GB.UTF-8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: en_GB.UTF-8
  value of $LC_TIME: en_GB.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Tuareg

Minor modes in effect:
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  flyspell-mode: t
  TeX-PDF-mode: t
  merlin-mode: t
  erc-list-mode: t
  erc-menu-mode: t
  erc-autojoin-mode: t
  erc-ring-mode: t
  erc-networks-mode: t
  erc-pcomplete-mode: t
  erc-track-mode: t
  erc-track-minor-mode: t
  erc-match-mode: t
  erc-button-mode: t
  erc-fill-mode: t
  erc-stamp-mode: t
  erc-netsplit-mode: t
  erc-irccontrols-mode: t
  erc-noncommands-mode: t
  erc-move-to-prompt-mode: t
  erc-readonly-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
[mu4e] Retrieving mail...done
[mu4e] Indexing... processed 79000, updated 2
[mu4e] Indexing completed; processed 79666, updated 2, cleaned-up 0
[mu4e] Contacts received: 9878
Making completion list... [6 times]
Please enter a number.
Quit
Making completion list...
2 days, 12 hours, 28 minutes, 51 seconds
Making completion list...

Load-path shadows:
/home/trch/software/mu/mu4e/mu4e-meta hides 
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/mu4e/mu4e-meta
/home/trch/software/mu/mu4e/mu4e-vars hides 
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/mu4e/mu4e-vars
/home/trch/software/mu/mu4e/mu4e-message hides 
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/mu4e/mu4e-message
/home/trch/software/mu/mu4e/mu4e-actions hides 
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/mu4e/mu4e-actions
/home/trch/software/mu/mu4e/mu4e-compose hides 
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/mu4e/mu4e-compose
/home/trch/software/mu/mu4e/mu4e-utils hides 
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/mu4e/mu4e-utils
/home/trch/software/mu/mu4e/mu4e-mark hides 
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/mu4e/mu4e-mark
/home/trch/software/mu/mu4e/mu4e-headers hides 
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/mu4e/mu4e-headers
/home/trch/software/mu/mu4e/mu4e-contrib hides 
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/mu4e/mu4e-contrib
/home/trch/software/mu/mu4e/mu4e-lists hides 
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/mu4e/mu4e-lists
/home/trch/software/mu/mu4e/mu4e-main hides 
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/mu4e/mu4e-main
/home/trch/software/mu/mu4e/mu4e-proc hides 
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/mu4e/mu4e-proc
/home/trch/software/mu/mu4e/mu4e-context hides 
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/mu4e/mu4e-context
/home/trch/software/mu/mu4e/mu4e hides 
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/mu4e/mu4e
/home/trch/software/mu/mu4e/mu4e-view hides 
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/mu4e/mu4e-view
/home/trch/software/mu/mu4e/mu4e-draft hides 
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/mu4e/mu4e-draft
/home/trch/software/mu/mu4e/org-mu4e hides 
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/mu4e/org-mu4e
/home/trch/software/mu/mu4e/mu4e-speedbar hides 
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/mu4e/mu4e-speedbar
/home/trch/software/mu/mu4e/org-old-mu4e hides 
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/mu4e/org-old-mu4e
/home/trch/.emacs.d/elpa/ntlm-2.0.0/ntlm hides 
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/flim/ntlm
/usr/share/emacs/24.5/site-lisp/debian-startup hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/debian-startup
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/flim/hex-util hides 
/usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/hex-util
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/flim/md4 hides 
/usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/md4
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/flim/hmac-md5 hides 
/usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/net/hmac-md5
/home/trch/.emacs.d/elpa/ntlm-2.0.0/ntlm hides 
/usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/net/ntlm
/home/trch/.emacs.d/elpa/soap-client-3.1.1/soap-client hides 
/usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/net/soap-client
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/flim/sasl hides 
/usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/net/sasl
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/flim/sasl-cram hides 
/usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/net/sasl-cram
/home/trch/.emacs.d/elpa/soap-client-3.1.1/soap-inspect hides 
/usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/net/soap-inspect
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/flim/sasl-ntlm hides 
/usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/net/sasl-ntlm
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/flim/hmac-def hides 
/usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/net/hmac-def
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/flim/sasl-digest hides 
/usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/net/sasl-digest
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/context hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/context
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/tex-buf hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/tex-buf
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/tex-info hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/tex-info
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/tex-mik hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/tex-mik
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/tex-bar hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/tex-bar
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/tex-font hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/tex-font
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/tex-jp hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/tex-jp
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/tex hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/tex
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/toolbar-x hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/toolbar-x
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/plain-tex hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/plain-tex
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/latex hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/latex
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/tex-style hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/tex-style
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/preview hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/preview
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/context-en hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/context-en
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/texmathp hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/texmathp
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/context-nl hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/context-nl
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/bib-cite hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/bib-cite
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/multi-prompt hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/multi-prompt
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/tex-fold hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/tex-fold
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/font-latex hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/font-latex
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/auctex/prv-emacs hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/prv-emacs

Features:
(shadow emacsbug time debian-bug rect sh-script executable grep view
cal-china lunar solar cal-dst cal-islam holidays hol-loaddefs cal-move
css-mode qp mailalias flow-fill mail-extr sort network-stream starttls
tls tramp-cache tramp tramp-compat tramp-loaddefs diff-mode make-mode
markdown-mode etags trampver url-file url-dired url-cache eww mm-url
gnus gnus-ems nnheader shr dabbrev w3m-form mu4e-w3m conf-mode misearch
multi-isearch diary-lib diary-loaddefs latexenc reftex-auc preview
prv-emacs tex-buf reftex-dcr reftex reftex-vars latex tex-style tex-mode
shell org-element org-rmail org-mhe org-irc org-info org-gnus
org-docview org-bibtex org-bbdb org-w3m sgml-mode vc-git flyspell ispell
mule-util caml tuareg_indent tuareg compile smie caml-help font-latex
tex dbus crm bibtex merlin-compat merlin-cap merlin caml-types
caml-emacs tq log-edit pcvs-util add-log erc-list erc-menu erc-join
erc-ring erc-networks erc-pcomplete erc-track erc-match erc-button
erc-fill erc-stamp erc-netsplit erc-goodies erc erc-backend erc-compat
pp twittering-mode url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods
url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util mailcap xml org-mu4e org
org-macro org-footnote org-pcomplete pcomplete org-list org-faces
org-entities noutline outline easy-mmode org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob
ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-src ob-keys ob-comint
ob-core ob-eval org-compat org-macs org-loaddefs find-func mu-cite alist
std11 pccl pccl-20 advice pcustom poem poem-e20 poem-e20_3 pces pces-e20
pces-20 broken poe pym static apel-ver product mu4e-contrib mu4e desktop
frameset mu4e-speedbar speedbar sb-image ezimage dframe mu4e-main
mu4e-context mu4e-view cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs thingatpt comint
ansi-color ring mu4e-headers mu4e-compose mu4e-draft mu4e-actions ido
rfc2368 smtpmail sendmail mu4e-mark mu4e-message html2text mu4e-proc
mu4e-utils mu4e-lists mu4e-vars message cl-macs format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mailabbrev mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader hl-line cl gv
mu4e-meta w3m browse-url doc-view jka-compr dired image-mode timezone
w3m-hist w3m-fb bookmark-w3m w3m-ems wid-edit w3m-ccl ccl w3m-favicon
w3m-image w3m-proc w3m-util epa-file epa derived epg quail help-mode
edmacro kmacro paren server url-auth url-parse auth-source eieio
byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra cl-loaddefs cl-lib cconv
eieio-core gnus-util mm-util help-fns mail-prsvr password-cache url-vars
info easymenu package epg-config debian-el debian-el-loaddefs w3m-load
preview-latex tex-site auto-loads time-date tooltip electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process
dbusbind gfilenotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 584412 138900)
 (symbols 48 53583 12)
 (miscs 40 1246 1495)
 (strings 32 158999 74865)
 (string-bytes 1 4707806)
 (vectors 16 60689)
 (vector-slots 8 1902678 152456)
 (floats 8 943 292)
 (intervals 56 29894 2696)
 (buffers 960 91)
 (heap 1024 265606 14075))