Subject: bug#24106: 25.1; Viper triggers warning about interactive-p at startup (cosmetic)

From: Marien Zwart <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2016 22:49:10 +1000

With the following in ~/.emacs/init.el:

  (package-initialize)

  (setq viper-mode t
        viper-inhibit-startup-message t
        viper-expert-level 5
        )

  (require 'viper)

Emacs pops up a *Compile-Log* buffer at startup, displaying:

Warning (bytecomp): ‘interactive-p’ is an obsolete function (as of
23.2); use ‘called-interactively-p’ instead.

Note this use of "require" in my init file is the normal way of loading Viper
(according to its documentation).

Loading Viper in a running Emacs did not trigger the error message.
Only having it in my init file did.

Removing the interactive-p call from the self-insert-command defadvice
in viper.el removes the warning.

In GNU Emacs 25.1.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.20.6)
 of 2016-07-29 built on cyclops
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11804000
System Description:    Gentoo Base System release 2.2

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/usr --build=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
 --host=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu --mandir=/usr/share/man
 --infodir=/usr/share/info --datadir=/usr/share --sysconfdir=/etc
 --localstatedir=/var/lib --disable-dependency-tracking
 --disable-silent-rules --docdir=/usr/share/doc/emacs-25.1_rc1
 --htmldir=/usr/share/doc/emacs-25.1_rc1/html --libdir=/usr/lib64
 --program-suffix=-emacs-25 --infodir=/usr/share/info/emacs-25
 --localstatedir=/var
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --with-gameuser=:gamestat --without-compress-install
 --with-file-notification=inotify --enable-acl --with-dbus --without-gpm
 --without-hesiod --without-kerberos --without-kerberos5 --without-xml2
 --without-selinux --with-gnutls --without-wide-int --with-zlib
 --with-sound=alsa --with-x --without-ns --without-gconf
 --without-gsettings --with-toolkit-scroll-bars --with-gif --with-jpeg
 --with-png --with-rsvg --with-tiff --with-xpm --without-imagemagick
 --with-xft --without-cairo --without-libotf --without-m17n-flt
 --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --without-xwidgets
 GENTOO_PACKAGE=app-editors/emacs-25.1_rc1 'CFLAGS=-ggdb -O2 -pipe
 -march=native' CPPFLAGS= 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,--hash-style=gnu -Wl,-O1
 -Wl,--as-needed''

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG SOUND DBUS NOTIFY ACL GNUTLS FREETYPE XFT
ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11

Important settings:
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nl_NL.utf8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nl_NL.utf8
  value of $LC_TIME: nl_NL.utf8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Text

Minor modes in effect:
  server-mode: t
  global-whitespace-mode: t
  ido-everywhere: t
  icomplete-mode: t
  electric-pair-mode: t
  global-reveal-mode: t
  reveal-mode: t
  which-function-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

Load-path shadows:
/home/marienz/emacs-lisp/ebuild-mode hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/ebuild-mode/ebuild-mode

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message idna dired-x dired format-spec
rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epg gnus-util mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util help-fns mail-prsvr mail-utils server
derived fill-column-indicator whitespace ido icomplete elec-pair reveal
which-func paren viper viper-ex viper-macs viper-mous viper-cmd
viper-keym ring viper-util viper-init advice mz-tango-theme finder-inf
go-mode-autoloads package epg-config seq byte-opt gv bytecomp
byte-compile cl-extra help-mode easymenu cconv site-gentoo preview-latex
edmacro kmacro cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib imenu tex-site auto-loads
time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset
image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cl-generic cham
georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese charscript case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting
font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 122888 13010)
 (symbols 48 24070 0)
 (miscs 40 99 126)
 (strings 32 26523 5872)
 (string-bytes 1 815348)
 (vectors 16 18020)
 (vector-slots 8 486718 3917)
 (floats 8 225 341)
 (intervals 56 295 0)
 (buffers 976 20)
 (heap 1024 16670 875))

-- 
Marien Zwart.