Subject: bug#24096: 25.1; xsdr-regexp should be modernized

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2016 18:02:08 +0300

xsd-regexp.el is in dire need of an update, so that it no longer uses
its private database of characters, their corresponding Unicode
blocks, and character properties.  We have in Emacs the full Unicode
database, and a few derived char-tables, that should be used instead.
What we have there now is a maintenance headache, and is almost sure
lag behind the current Unicode standard, whereas the rest of Emacs is
up to date in that regard.  Which means xsd-regexp is inconsistent
with the rest of Emacs.

Likewise the references to Mule charsets is something that should be
long gone from Emacs.

Volunteers are welcome to clean up that file.

TIA

In GNU Emacs 25.1.1 (i686-pc-mingw32)
 of 2016-07-24 built on HOME-C4E4A596F7
Windowing system distributor 'Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/d/usr --enable-checking=yes,glyphs
 --with-wide-int --with-modules 'CFLAGS=-O2 -gdwarf-4 -g3''

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG SOUND NOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS MODULES

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: ENU
  locale-coding-system: cp1255

Major mode: RMAIL

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  save-place-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  temp-buffer-resize-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t

Recent messages:
Showing message 2141...done
Making completion list...
Mark set
Auto-saving...done
Mark set
Sending...
Added to d:/usr/eli/rmail/SENT.MAIL
Sending email 
Sending email done
Sending...done

Load-path shadows:
d:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/soap-inspect hides d:/usr/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/net/soap-inspect
d:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/soap-client hides d:/usr/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/net/soap-client

Features:
(pp shadow emacsbug tar-mode pulse etags shell grep compile misearch
multi-isearch shr-color color url-util url-parse url-vars shr seq dom
browse-url eieio-opt speedbar sb-image ezimage dframe thingatpt
dabbrev rfc2104 network-stream nsm starttls tls gnutls mail-extr
smtpmail auth-source mailalias sendmail rmailout conf-mode arc-mode
archive-mode org-element org-rmail org-mhe org-irc org-info org-gnus
org-docview doc-view subr-x jka-compr image-mode org-bibtex bibtex
org-bbdb org-w3m org advice org-macro org-footnote org-pcomplete
pcomplete org-list org-faces org-entities org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob
ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-src ob-keys ob-comint
comint ansi-color ob-core ob-eval org-compat org-macs org-loaddefs
find-func cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs bat-mode make-mode
vc-dispatcher vc-svn parse-time generic vc-cvs vc-bzr bug-reference
add-log info vc-git diff-mode noutline outline easy-mmode flyspell qp
rmailsum rmailmm message dired-x dired format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec
password-cache epg epg-config gnus-util mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader mail-parse rfc2231 rmail rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util help-fns mail-prsvr mail-utils desktop
frameset server filecache mairix cus-edit cus-start cus-load wid-edit
saveplace midnight ispell derived generic-x cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess
cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs paren
xref cl-seq project ring eieio byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra
help-mode easymenu cconv eieio-core cl-macs gv cl-loaddefs pcase
cl-lib battery time time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel dos-w32 ls-lisp
disp-table w32-win w32-vars term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cl-generic
cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet
lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak
czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese charscript case-table
epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer cl-preloaded
nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote w32notify w32 multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 2189724 224864)
 (symbols 56 42581 0)
 (miscs 48 4372 5018)
 (strings 16 119352 34935)
 (string-bytes 1 3281388)
 (vectors 16 43625)
 (vector-slots 8 1676648 226683)
 (floats 8 541 785)
 (intervals 40 413582 12578)
 (buffers 856 231))