Subject: bug#24092: installation of password-store doesn't require installation of tree

From: "Thompson, David" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2016 09:24:52 -0400

On Thu, Jul 28, 2016 at 2:40 AM, Tomáš Čech <[email-masked]> wrote:
> I installed `password-store' and simple invocation failed:
>
>  $ LC_ALL=C pass
>  Password Store
>  /home/tcech/.guix-profile/bin/pass: line 324: tree: command not found
>
> After manually installing `tree' package it works as expected.
>
> A `pass' is bash script, shouldn't be inputs be changed to
> propagated-inputs?

No, what would be best is to find out where 'tree' is referenced and
use the 'substitute*' form in a build phase to replace it with the
full path to '/gnu/store/blahblahblah-tree-1.7.0/bin/tree'.  The
'tree' package would then be just a regular input, not a propagated
one.  Propagation is for when all else fails and is best avoided. :)

- Dave