Subject: 24.5; High CPU usage at startup while hidden

From: aiken <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2016 00:11:53 +0100

I am using the i3 window manager. When I launch emacs (via dmenu) while
in a workspace, call it workspace A, and switch to workspace B before
the emacs window appears, then eventually it loads up in A, but during
this time, emacs' CPU usage is very high. It remains high until I switch
back to A, at which point its CPU usage becomes normal. I've also tried
launching emacs with my init.el disabled (commented out) and get the
same result.

In GNU Emacs 24.5.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.18.9)
 of 2016-04-17 on lgw01-04, modified by Debian
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11803000
System Description:	Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS

Configured using:
 `configure --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var/lib --infodir=/usr/share/info
 --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs24:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/24.5/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/24.5/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --build x86_64-linux-gnu --prefix=/usr --sharedstatedir=/var/lib
 --libexecdir=/usr/lib --localstatedir=/var/lib
 --infodir=/usr/share/info --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-pop=yes
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs24:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/24.5/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/24.5/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --with-x=yes --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-toolkit-scroll-bars
 'CFLAGS=-g -O2 -fstack-protector-strong -Wformat
 -Werror=format-security -Wall' 'CPPFLAGS=-Wdate-time
 -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2' 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions -Wl,-z,relro''

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Message

Minor modes in effect:
  mml-mode: t
  global-linum-mode: t
  linum-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  auto-fill-function: message-do-auto-fill
  transient-mark-mode: t
  abbrev-mode: t

Recent messages:
Sending...
message-send: No methods specified to send by
Mark set
Sending...
message-send: No methods specified to send by
Mark set
Sending...
message-send: No methods specified to send by
Mark set
Mark deactivated

Load-path shadows:
/home/aiken/.emacs.d/elpa/helm-20160715.2117/helm-multi-match hides
/home/aiken/.emacs.d/elpa/helm-core-20160716.3/helm-multi-match
/usr/share/emacs/24.5/site-lisp/debian-startup hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/debian-startup

Features:
(pp shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822
mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
help-fns mail-prsvr mail-utils help-mode ido tango-theme linum edmacro
kmacro cl-loaddefs cl-lib paren cus-start cus-load easymenu package
epg-config time-date tooltip electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt
fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode prog-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process dbusbind
gfilenotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 148256 14891)
 (symbols 48 23209 0)
 (miscs 40 214 233)
 (strings 32 30777 8686)
 (string-bytes 1 780663)
 (vectors 16 14596)
 (vector-slots 8 441793 11029)
 (floats 8 87 340)
 (intervals 56 789 779)
 (buffers 960 14)
 (heap 1024 45744 1545))