Subject: Re: bug#24090: 25.1; toggle-frame-fullscreen breaks UI features in Gnome

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2016 14:30:37 +0200

> The first time I read this, I thought you were saying that Gnome's top
 > bar was being displayed off the bottom edge of my monitor, but then I
 > realised that "below" probably means what I think of as "behind"! With
 > this piece of information things make sense.

Sorry - this is X11 parlance.  I should have mentioned z-order.

 > [Well, I'm not sure that they make sense from a UI point of view, but
 > then not much in Gnome 3 does. However it seems that the behaviour is
 > consistent with the design.]

Fullscreen is often used by gamers.  They could possibly get distracted
by bars or icons popping up after they moved the mouse to certain parts
of their screen.

 > So it seems that this is simply user error (or a user misunderstanding).
 > In using fullscreen mode, I used a feature that was not appropriate for
 > my use case. (I simply need a feature that hides the title bar.)

IIUC you usually cannot remove/add the title bar for an existing frame
on X.

 > So
 > please tag this `notabug' and close it.

I'm just closing it.

 > [Off I go to try playing with my configuration to so see if I can make
 > my frames slightly taller than my display so that the title bar is above
 > the top edge of my monitor.]

I'm afraid your efforts will be wasted.  Doing such a thing
programmatically usually fails just as often as it works.

martin