Subject: bug#24090: 25.1; toggle-frame-fullscreen breaks UI features in Gnome

From: [email-masked] (N. Jackson)
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2016 12:01:30 -0300

Hi Martin,

At 09:19 +0200 on Friday 2016-07-29, martin rudalics wrote:
>
> FWIW Gnome's top bar and your gallery of windows should be of type
> _NET_WM_TYPE_DOCK and are therefore shown _below_ your Emacs 'fullboth'
> frame which should be of type _NET_WM_STATE_FULLSCREEN.  So I don't see
> a bug here.

The first time I read this, I thought you were saying that Gnome's top
bar was being displayed off the bottom edge of my monitor, but then I
realised that "below" probably means what I think of as "behind"! With
this piece of information things make sense.

[Well, I'm not sure that they make sense from a UI point of view, but
then not much in Gnome 3 does. However it seems that the behaviour is
consistent with the design.]

> Do other applications (e.g. Firefox after hitting F11) behave
> differently when they are in fullscreen mode?

Firefox is not a good choice for testing as it isn't a native
application and is also buggy when it comes to interaction with the top
bar.

I tried with the Gnome file manager Nautilus but it doesn't seem to be
capable of fullscreen display. (Which doesn't really surprise me as it
is a perfect example of neo-Gnomishness: It doesn't do much of
anything.)

I had better luck with Gnome Terminal, and confirmed that the behaviour
is as you describe.

So it seems that this is simply user error (or a user misunderstanding).
In using fullscreen mode, I used a feature that was not appropriate for
my use case. (I simply need a feature that hides the title bar.) So
please tag this `notabug' and close it.

Thanks and best regards,
N.

[Off I go to try playing with my configuration to so see if I can make
my frames slightly taller than my display so that the title bar is above
the top edge of my monitor.]