Subject: Re: bug#24089: 25.1; Dired: diff error on = <RET> if the file has a backup inside .~/

From: Jorge Morais Neto <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2016 14:14:47 -0200

On 6 August 2016 at 07:18, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:
> I committed the patch to the master branch, and I'm marking this bug
> done.  Thanks a lot for reporting this subtle bug and for testing the
> fixes.

I found a problem with the solution to this bug.  The solution could be further
improved.

My Emacs init file is "~/.emacs.d/init.el".  It has numbered backups in
"~/.emacs.d/.~/".  It is true that with the existing fix, I can invoke
dired-diff on init.el and immediately hit RET, and it will work as expected.
However, I often want to compare with an earlier backup.Therefore, I want to be
able to:
1. Pull into the minibuffer (with M-n) the path to the latest backup, so I could
   edit it to become the path of an earlier backup.  Or even better,
2. Pull into the minibuffer (with M-n) the path to the latest backup, and get
   the path of earlier and earlier backups with successive invocations of M-n.

The current fix lacks both of these features.

Regards

-- 
• I am Brazilian.  I hope my English is correct and I welcome corrections.
• Please adopt free formats like PDF, ODF, Org, LaTeX, Opus, WebM and 7z.
• Free (as in free speech) software for Android: https://f-droid.org/