Subject: bug#24082: 25.1; vc-dir for CVS repositories list all files as if from toplevel directory

From: Göktuğ Kayaalp <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2016 18:48:09 +0300

On 2016-10-11 11:51 +0300, Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]> wrote:
> [... snip ...] But if the feature doesn't work with all popular CVS 
> servers, then it would be half-broken anyway, and we'd be better off 
> relying on your solution.

Turns out my cvs was a year behind the latest, and the commitid was
ported in a later release (see also Andreas Schwab's message).  Sorry.

> 'cvs -fnq update' gives:
> [... snip ...]
> (So it doesn't mention up-to-date files; which can be a boon 
> performance-wise, starting with repos of certain size).

‘cvs status’ output is mostly garbage (i.e. not needed) in this context,
whereas every byte of ‘cvs -fnq update’ is used.  Also, the amount of
the output from the latter is a fraction of that from the former.  With
‘status’, reporting even a completely pristine repo will be slow if it
has more than a dozen files, and the results will depend on the CVS
version, regarding unregistered files, commitid, etc.

I'm CC'ing Andreas too, maybe he can comment about Jérémie's issue?
Also, AFAIK we havent heard from Dan Nicolescu yet.

-- 
İ. V. Göktuğ Kayaalp                           <http://www.gkayaalp.com>
                        PGP pubkey: <http://www.gkayaalp.com/pubkey.asc>