Subject: Re: bug#24082: 25.1; vc-dir for CVS repositories list all files as if from toplevel directory

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2016 11:51:25 +0300

On 11.10.2016 05:09, Göktuğ Kayaalp wrote:

> This looks like a CVSNT server[1] (given the ‘commit identifier’), so
> that may be the cause.  I don't have a remote repo now, I'll try with
> one as soon as I'll have free time (I'll try with OpenBSD src/).  Or it
> may be the artifact of the missing ‘-q’ flag to cvs,

I'm getting the same output from 'cvs -fq status'.

> or some config on
> the remote.  I'm mostly a user of CVS so I don't know these detail,
> sorry.

I'm not even a user, so unfortunately it seems like it falls on you to 
make sense of it. But if the feature doesn't work with all popular CVS 
servers, then it would be half-broken anyway, and we'd be better off 
relying on your solution.

Anyway, to clone the repo I've tried, you can:

CVSROOT=:pserver:[email-masked]:/sources/public cvs login
(enter 'anonymous')
CVSROOT=:pserver:[email-masked]:/sources/public cvs checkout recut

> Would you mind trying ‘cvs -fnq update’ and ‘cvs -fq status’ with that
> server too?

'cvs -fnq update' gives:

$ cvs -fnq update
? asdasd
? tests/foo
M COPYING
M tests/bytes2.sh

(So it doesn't mention up-to-date files; which can be a boon 
performance-wise, starting with repos of certain size).