Subject: Re: bug#24082: 25.1; vc-dir for CVS repositories list all files as if from toplevel directory

From: Göktuğ Kayaalp <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2016 05:09:46 +0300

On 2016-10-11 02:55 +0300, Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]> wrote:
> On 09.10.2016 15:18, Göktuğ Kayaalp wrote:
>
>> Does not show unregistered files at all, so need to add them from shell.
>> In fact, ‘cvs status’ command itself does not know anything about
>> unregistered files at all, it only deals with registered files.
>
> For some reason, I get 'cvs -f status' include the unregistered files in 
> the output with the remote repo, but not with the one I've created from 
> your test scenario. With the remote one, the output looks like:
>
> cvs -f status
> ? asdasd
> ? tests/foo
> [... snip ...]
>     Commit Identifier:	6fOuIAy2oJtoJf6y
> [... snip ...]

This looks like a CVSNT server[1] (given the ‘commit identifier’), so
that may be the cause.  I don't have a remote repo now, I'll try with
one as soon as I'll have free time (I'll try with OpenBSD src/).  Or it
may be the artifact of the missing ‘-q’ flag to cvs, or some config on
the remote.  I'm mostly a user of CVS so I don't know these detail,
sorry.

Would you mind trying ‘cvs -fnq update’ and ‘cvs -fq status’ with that
server too?

The GNU CVS manpage describes the ‘status’ comment thus:

,---- cvs(5)
| status Show current status of files: latest version, version in working
|        directory,  whether working version has been edited and, option-
|        ally, symbolic tags in the RCS file.  (Does not  change  reposi-
|        tory or working directory.)
`----

Which sort-a indicates that its scope is registered files, as
non-registered files would not have latest versions or modification
statuses.

[1] It is a fork of CVS in 2004, backwards compatible with many new
    features ap per the wiki says: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CVSNT

-- 
İ. V. Göktuğ Kayaalp                           <http://www.gkayaalp.com>
                        PGP pubkey: <http://www.gkayaalp.com/pubkey.asc>