Subject: Re: bug#24082: 25.1; vc-dir for CVS repositories list all files as if from toplevel directory

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Oct 2016 23:06:10 +0300

On 08.10.2016 18:13, Jérémie Courrèges-Anglas wrote:

> Oops, sorry.  Yes indeed, I only replaced `files' with `dir'.

OK, good. Any obvious problems with that solution? I don't work with CVS 
at all, and if you (or anyone else) interact with any particularly big 
repositories, I'd love to hear how it fares there.

>> and
>> whether it works well with all CVS repositories you work with.
>
> Works fine, there are some differences.

That's too bad. I've tried the patch myself, and I didn't see those, 
neither with the temporary repository created using Göktuğ's 
instructions, nor with a random GNU CVS repo I cloned afterwards.

Might there be something special with the repo you're trying it on? 
Maybe the fact that the working dir and the repository root only have 
the root directory as the common ancestor? Just a random guess.

> So the patched version shows unregistered files and directories, which
> is good, but has formatting artifacts (`.//' above).  Also, pressing `='
> on `.//emacs-wip', I get the following in *Messages*:
>
> ...
> Traversing directory /usr/ports/editors/...done
> Finding changes in /usr/ports/editors/emacs-wip...
> vc-find-backend-function: Cannot open load file: No such file or directory, vc-nil
>
> even though the directory contains a CVS dir, and cvs(1) works fine in
> it.  I don't think it's a big problem though.

Agree, that doesn't sound like too big of a problem.

And seeing unregistered files is pretty much working as intended. Alas, 
I see them in both versions of the code (the one using `dir', and the 
one using 'cvs update').

Any ideas why you're seeing differently? Do you have a non-default value 
of vc-cvs-stay-local, maybe?