Subject: bug#24082: closed (Re: bug#24082: 25.1; vc-dir for CVS repositories list all files as if from toplevel directory)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2016 00:05:02 +0000

Your bug report

#24082: 25.1; vc-dir for CVS repositories list all files as if from toplevel directory

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
24082: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=24082
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#24082: 25.1; vc-dir for CVS repositories list all files as if from toplevel directory
From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
To: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2016 03:04:47 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On 16.10.2016 20:58, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> Direct link:
>> https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?filename=bug-24082-2.patch;bug=24082;att=1;msg=96
>
> This is okay for emacs-25, thanks.

Pushed. Thanks everyone!

Subject: 25.1; vc-dir for CVS repositories list all files as if from toplevel directory
From: Göktuğ Kayaalp <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2016 23:02:39 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

When a directory is viewed via VC (‘vc-dir’), when that directory is a
CVS directory, all files that are edited, whether in that directory or
in its subdirectories, are listed as if they were in the toplevel
directory of the repo.

Example (25.1):

,----
| VC backend : CVS
| Working dir: [deduced]
| Repository : [deduced]
| Module     : emacs.d
| 
| 
|                          ./
|     edited               eval-sexp-fu.el
|     edited               gk-org.el
|     edited               gk-utils.el
|     edited               gk.el
`----

Same directory, in 24.5:

,----
| VC backend : CVS
| Working dir: [deduced]
| Repository : [deduced]
| Module     : emacs.d
| 
| 
|                          ./
|                          gk/
|     edited               gk/gk-org.el
|     edited               gk/gk-utils.el
|     edited               gk/gk.el
|                          site/
|     edited               site/eval-sexp-fu.el
`----

Commands like vc-diff from this buffer (via ‘=’) fail, complaining it
can't find the VC backend.

Reproduction:

- Modify a tracked file in a submodule of a toplevel CVS module
- Call ‘vc-dir’ on the toplevel module
- Run a command on the modified file.

This is the stacktrace I get from ‘vc-diff’ (‘=’ in vc-dir) with
‘debug-on-error’ t:

,----
| Debugger entered--Lisp error: (file-error "Cannot open load file" "No such file or directory" "vc-nil")
|   require(vc-nil)
|   vc-find-backend-function(nil make-version-backups-p)
|   vc-call-backend(nil make-version-backups-p "[deduced]/emacs.d/gk-org.el")
|   vc-version-backup-file("[deduced]/emacs.d/gk-org.el" nil)
|   vc-cvs-diff(("[deduced]/emacs.d/gk-org.el") nil nil "*vc-diff*" t)
|   apply(vc-cvs-diff (("[deduced]/emacs.d/gk-org.el") nil nil "*vc-diff*" t))
|   vc-call-backend(CVS diff ("[deduced]/emacs.d/gk-org.el") nil nil "*vc-diff*" t)
|   vc-diff-internal(t (CVS ("[deduced]/emacs.d/gk-org.el") nil nil nil) nil nil t)
|   vc-diff(nil t)
|   funcall-interactively(vc-diff nil t)
|   call-interactively(vc-diff nil nil)
|   command-execute(vc-diff)
`----

If I try to see the version log, via ‘l’ in the *vc-dir* buffer,  I get
the ‘*vc-change-log*’ buffer with these contents:

,----
| cvs log: nothing known about gk-org.el
`----

In GNU Emacs 25.1.1 (x86_64-unknown-freebsd10.3, X toolkit, Xaw scroll bars)
 of 2016-07-26 built on xi.bootis
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11704000
Configured using:
 'configure -C --enable-silent-rules --disable-dependency-tracking
 --without-pop --with-x-toolkit=athena --without-gpm --without-dbus
 --without-gconf --without-gsettings --without-selinux --with-modules
 --with-file-notification=yes --with-x
 --prefix=[deduced]'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND NOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2
FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS LUCID X11 MODULES

Important settings:
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: tr_TR.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: VC dir

Minor modes in effect:
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  auto-insert-mode: t
  change-cursor-mode: t
  winner-mode: t
  auto-image-file-mode: t
  which-key-mode: t
  smooth-scroll-mode: t
  save-place-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  global-paren-face-mode: t
  eval-sexp-fu-flash-mode: t
  global-gk-minor-mode: t
  gk-minor-mode: t
  global-undo-tree-mode: t
  undo-tree-mode: t
  gk-utf8-entry-mode: t
  pdf-occur-global-minor-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  size-indication-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
Traversing directory [deduced]/emacs.d/lisp...
Traversing directory [deduced]/emacs.d/packages...
Traversing directory [deduced]/emacs.d/packages/bbdb-20150523.1239...
Traversing directory [deduced]/emacs.d/packages/elfeed-git...
Traversing directory [deduced]/emacs.d/packages/pdf-tools-0.70...
Traversing directory [deduced]/emacs.d/site...
Traversing directory [deduced]/emacs.d/themes...
Traversing directory [deduced]/emacs.d/...done
Finding changes in [deduced]/emacs.d/eval-sexp-fu.el...
Entering debugger...

Load-path shadows:
[deduced]/co/Exwm/gk-wm hides [deduced]/.emacs.d/gk/gk-wm
[deduced]/co/Exwm/cl-generic hides [deduced]/Local/emacs25.1/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/emacs-lisp/cl-generic
[deduced]/.emacs.d/site/let-alist hides [deduced]/Local/emacs25.1/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/emacs-lisp/let-alist

Features:
(conf-mode shadow mailalias mail-extr emacsbug make-mode vc-git
diff-mode vc-bzr vc-src vc-sccs vc-svn eieio-opt speedbar sb-image
ezimage dframe debug dabbrev sort tabify two-column iso-transl dired-aux
org-colview shr-color color qp goto-addr rmailmm exim xcb-xim xcb-xlib
exwm-systemtray xcb-systemtray xcb-xembed exwm-config ido exwm
exwm-input xcb-keysyms exwm-manage exwm-floating xcb-cursor xcb-render
exwm-layout exwm-workspace exwm-core xcb-ewmh xcb-icccm xcb xcb-xproto
xcb-types tls gnutls ibuf-macs supercite regi rmailsum mh-e mh-compat
mh-acros mh-buffers mh-loaddefs ispell bbdb-mua diary-lib diary-loaddefs
misearch multi-isearch grep executable pcmpl-cvs vc-dir ewoc pcmpl-unix
parse-time disp-table org-rmail org-mhe org-irc org-info org-gnus
org-docview org-bibtex bibtex org-bbdb org-w3m paren autoinsert init
server gk thinks analog-clock artist picture reporter boxquote gk-www
twittering-mode gk-feeds gk-urls elfeed-show elfeed-db elfeed-lib
avl-tree elfeed-search elfeed xml-query xml gk-vc vc-rcs vc-cvs vc
vc-dispatcher log-edit pcvs-util add-log gk-ui cursor-chg winner
gk-system man gk-servers simple-httpd gk-multimedia image+ image-file
gk-mail sendmail rmail message idna rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
gmm-utils mailheader f dash epa-mail bbdb-vcard bbdb-com crm mailabbrev
vcard mairix gk-ibuffer ibuffer-vc tramp-cache tramp tramp-compat
tramp-loaddefs trampver bbdb bbdb-site timezone gk-globals forecast
which-key smooth-scroll saveplace savehist paren-face gk-keys windmove
gk-programming sass-mode haml-mode css-mode ruby-mode smie js sgml-mode
thingatpt cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align
cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs gk-outline eval-sexp-fu warnings rx highlight
inf-lisp highlight-parentheses paredit edmacro kmacro gk-org ob-sh
latexenc ox-odt rng-loc rng-uri rng-parse rng-match rng-dt rng-util
rng-pttrn nxml-parse nxml-ns nxml-enc xmltok nxml-util ox-beamer
ox-latex ox-icalendar ox-html ox-ascii ox-publish ox org-element
org-mobile org-location-google-maps org-capture org-agenda interleave
doc-view google-maps google-maps-static google-maps-geocode
google-maps-base json map gk-org-cite gk-fonts gk-alist gk-lingua
gk-minor-mode ace-jump-mode face-remap apropos gk-file gk-editing
zencoding-mode cl writeroom-mode visual-fill-column undo-tree diff typo
lorem-ipsum gk-utf8 gk-input-methods gk-unilat gk-greek gk-armenian
quail gk-global-modes diminish gk-edit rect gk-documents gk-utils epa
derived whole-line-or-region s ucs-normalize org org-macro org-footnote
org-pcomplete org-list org-faces org-entities noutline outline
easy-mmode org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table
ob-exp org-src ob-keys ob-comint ob-core ob-eval org-compat org-macs
org-loaddefs cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs etags xref project eww
mm-url gnus gnus-ems nnheader mail-utils url-queue url url-proxy
url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf
url-util url-parse auth-source cl-seq gnus-util mm-util help-fns
mail-prsvr password-cache url-vars mailcap shr seq dom subr-x browse-url
pdf-links pdf-occur ibuf-ext ibuffer tablist tablist-filter
semantic/wisent/comp semantic/wisent semantic/wisent/wisent
semantic/util-modes semantic/util semantic semantic/tag semantic/lex
semantic/fw eieio byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra help-mode
cconv eieio-core cl-macs gv mode-local find-func cedet pdf-isearch
let-alist pdf-misc imenu pdf-tools compile cus-edit cus-start cus-load
wid-edit pdf-view bookmark pp jka-compr pdf-cache pdf-info tq pdf-util
advice image-mode gk-dired ls-lisp wdired image-dired format-spec
dired-x dired gk-crypt gk-mac epg epg-config gk-comint shell pcomplete
comint ansi-color ring info easymenu cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib time-date
mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset
image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cl-generic cham
georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese charscript case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote kqueue dynamic-setting
font-render-setting x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 723191 648769)
 (symbols 48 77111 0)
 (miscs 40 2748 5673)
 (strings 32 158878 311981)
 (string-bytes 1 5053215)
 (vectors 16 96985)
 (vector-slots 8 2335188 485593)
 (floats 8 2069 3651)
 (intervals 56 21909 2441)
 (buffers 976 119))

-- 
İ. Göktuğ Kayaalp.
http://gkayaalp.com/