Subject: bug#24075: closed (Re: bug#24075: tls/https support in Guile (through r6rs binary ports?))

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2016 18:15:02 +0000

Your bug report

#24075: tls/https support in Guile (through r6rs binary ports?)

which was filed against the guile package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
24075: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=24075
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#24075: tls/https support in Guile (through r6rs binary ports?)
From: Christopher Allan Webber <[email-masked]>
To: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Cc: Andy Wingo <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2016 12:14:52 -0600
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Ludovic Courtès writes:

> I think ‘ensure-gnutls’ would be exactly as in this patch, and the
> autoload hack would be exactly as shown above.

Got it!  Done...

> @xref generates a “See” for the beginning of a sentence, so it should
> be:
>
>   … support.  @xref{…}, for more information.

... and done!

> Also, “HTTPS” and “GnuTLS”.  :-)

Ooops, misssed that bit in the first commit which I had pushed, so I
made two commits. :)

> The rest is all good for me, so the only remaining bits are the autoload
> thing and maybe the bug you observed?

Yep!  It's now done... as of 8f1db9f we now have HTTPS support
out-of-the-box in Guile!  Party time!

Subject: tls/https support in Guile (through r6rs binary ports?)
From: Christopher Allan Webber <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2016 10:55:46 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Guile lacks https support by default, which is a really glaring omission
in any modern language!  I've submitted some code adapted from Guix
previously as a step towards adding https support:

  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guile-devel/2015-09/msg00031.html

While it can be pulled off through some gnutls hacks, these have
problems.  Unfortunately, it seems that the file descriptor is leaked:

  http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=20145

I've been told on IRC that the "right solution" is to add r6rs style
binary ports:

  http://www.r6rs.org/final/html/r6rs-lib/r6rs-lib-Z-H-9.html

So maybe that's what should be done?

Anyway, I think this is one of *the most important things* that Guile
currently lacks.  (It's held me back from considering Guile as a serious
choice for at least one project, myself!)  Hope it can be fixed!

 - Chris