Subject: Re: bug#24071: [PATCH] Refactor regex character class parsing in [:name:]

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2016 19:28:25 +0300

> From: Michal Nazarewicz <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2016 17:29:04 +0200
> 
> > If we are going to make some serious refactoring in regex.c, I think
> > we should start with having a test suite for it.
> 
> I agree.  Which is why I started test/src/regex-tests.el¹.  Since this
> patch touches only character classes I limited the tests to character
> classes.

I know.  What I wrote was not a complaint about the past, it was a
suggestion for the future.  A single localized change doesn't yet
justify importing a large test suite.  But this later patch looks like
a beginning of a series of refactoring (is it?), hopefully followed by
more features, so I thought we should have a firm ground first.

> > The dima_regex_embedded_modifiers branch, created by Dima Kogan
> > (CC'ed) in the Emacs repository includes a suite taken from glibc.
> > Dima, could you perhaps merge the parts of the test suite that can
> > already be used to the master branch, so that we could use them to
> > verify changes in regex.c?
> 
> This looks relatively straightforward;  I can take care of it.  I’ll
> send a link to the result soon.

Thanks.