Subject: Re: bug#24070: LaTeX mode doesn't load in 11.89.4

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2016 21:53:37 -0400

> I was disabling some of the automatic setup. My original purpose of this
> was to try to reduce my emacs startup time.

In an ideal ELPA world, startup is fast because the automatic setup is
cheap (just a few autoloads and such).  So if the automatic setup is too
slow, that can be for one of two reasons:
- some package(s)'s setup is too expensive.  You should then disable the
  offending package's startup (by setting package-load-list), and report
  the problem to the package's author.
- each package's setup is fast but the overall setup ends up still
  too slow.  Then please M-x report-emacs-bug complaining that ELPA's
  automatic setup time is too expensive and needs to be re-designed.

>> Auto-installing a list of packages seems mostly unrelated to whether
>> (and how) you configure them, tho.
> It does seem that way, but it is convenient (and I'm probably not the one
> to argue on behalf of use-package).

Similarly, I don't see why use of use-package would imply that you
disable the automatic setup done by ELPA.  use-package should
complement it, not replace it.

> I decided to go to extra length to not run (package-initialize) because it
> was significantly slowing my emacs start time and running
> (package-initialize t) made it start faster.

I would appreciate if you could investigate the actual source of slow
down, because it's something that shouldn't happen,

        Stefan