Subject: Re: bug#24070: LaTeX mode doesn't load in 11.89.4

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2016 15:59:12 -0400

> Another problem seems to be that installing AUCTeX from ELPA via use-package
> does not work because that forcefully does (require '<pkgname>) under the
> hoods.

Actually (require 'auctex) does work with the ELPA package *if*
package-initialize was run before (and without a non-nil argument).
Calling package-initialize early on in your ~/.emacs is what should
ideally happen, but IIRC in the OP's case he went to extra length to
disable the normal setup of ELPA packages by calling package-initialize
with a non-nil arg.

> But in any case, it would be good if there would be a big fat warning or
> even error when a user loads auctex manually although it's an ELPA
> install. And obviously I'd prefer if the relevant code was not specific to
> the ELPA branch but was shared between that and master.

Makes sense.

I can't remember enough of how the non-ELPA code works, so feel free to
send me some suggested code or to adjust the code I sent or something.

        Stefan