Subject: bug#24070: LaTeX mode doesn't load in 11.89.4

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2016 15:54:53 -0400

> I have around 30 packages that I install through ELPA.  Since this is pretty
> unwieldy,

I must say that I find it far from obvious that it's unwieldy.

> I have these all configured using the "use-package" macro,

By that do you mean that you first go through the trouble of disabling
the normal automatic setup done by ELPA packages, and then setup
use-package for each and every one of those packages, partly redoing by
hand what the ELPA package's normal setup would have done for you?

> which will automatically download missing packages and `require' them
> as necessary.  This makes installations on new machines really simple.

Auto-installing a list of packages seems mostly unrelated to whether
(and how) you configure them, tho.

> However, since AUCTeX doesn't have any (require 'auctex) line, use-package
> will fail and AUCTeX won't install.

Sounds like a problem with use-package.

> Now that I know that AUCTeX will work when you just install it, it is
> indeed not too hard to get AUCTeX working.

FWIW, this should be the case for *all* ELPA packages.

        Stefan