Subject: bug#24070: LaTeX mode doesn't load in 11.89.4

From: Mosè Giordano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2016 19:17:52 +0200

Hi Tassilo,

2016-07-27 18:59 GMT+02:00 Tassilo Horn <[email-masked]>:
> Another problem seems to be that installing AUCTeX from ELPA via use-package
> does not work because that forcefully does (require '<pkgname>) under the
> hoods. If that is true, then I'd consider it a bug in use-package. I don't
> think there is a requirement that a package has a feature named exactly as
> the package.

Exactly in this regard, use-package's documentation mention a feature
to load a feature with a different name from the package and uses
AUCTeX as an example.  And since AUCTeX never used a `require' to work
(this is actually harmful sometimes), I expected that use-package has
been tested for AUCTeX as well.

> But in any case, it would be good if there would be a big fat warning or
> even error when a user loads auctex manually although it's an ELPA install.
> And obviously I'd prefer if the relevant code was not specific to the ELPA
> branch but was shared between that and master.

Agreed.

Thanks for your comments!

So, Stefan, how we could catch if someone is loading AUCTeX in the "wrong" way?

Bye,
Mosè