Subject: bug#24070: LaTeX mode doesn't load in 11.89.4

From: Caleb Rottman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2016 11:11:01 -0600

Thank you for the suggestions. When I removed my init.el file, AUCTeX's
mode loaded fine so I knew it must be a conflict somewhere else in my
init.el.

I had the following lines in my init.el to try to decrease my emacs startup
time (as emacs had been slow to load):

(setq package-enable-at-startup nil)
(package-initialize t)
(let ((default-directory "~/.emacs.d/elpa"))
  (normal-top-level-add-subdirs-to-load-path))

When I get rid of the first line, AUCTeX loads fine, so this fixes my
problem. (It turns out that first line really wasn't helping emacs start
that much quicker anyway).

Still, this workaround seem a little odd to me. First, It seems odd that I
can't start AUCTeX "when I want", i.e., by using the line (load "auctex.el"
nil t t), even though this worked for me in previous versions of auctex
(11.89 and 11.88). Second, it also seems a little odd that I can't do
something like (require 'auctex) or (use-package auctex), even though I can
load all my other 30+ packages that way. The concept of having nothing in
my .emacs and the package still being expected to work definitely confused
me at the beginning.

Regardless, this fixes my problem. Thank you very much for the help.

On Tue, Jul 26, 2016 at 8:42 AM, Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> > There is nothing in my Messages buffer that makes me think there was any
> > attempt to load AucTeX. The only time i get a message in my messages
> buffer
> > is when i have the line "(load "auctex.el" nil t t)" in my init file.
>
> What happens if you do:
>
> - remove your ~/.emacs file (or make it empty)
> - start Emacs
> - open a .tex file
>
> Do you get AUCTeX's mode or do you get the default (tex-mode.el) mode or
> do you get an error?  If you get an error, please enable "Options =>
> Enter Debugger on Error" and show us the backtrace.
>
> Also, please check `C-h v load-history` and see if there's
> an auctex-autoloads.el file in there.
>
>
>         Stefan
>