Subject: bug#24062: Temporary NEWS markup still in RC

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2016 17:06:58 +0300

> From: Nicolas Petton <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
> Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2016 10:15:19 +0200
> 
> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > Why wasn't that pushed to the repo?
> 
> make-tarball.txt says it's best to wait for the actual release, so I did
> not commit it yet.

Our release documentation doesn't really fit the RCn type of
semi-releases.  AFAIR, in the entire history of Emacs since the 1990s,
only one release ever had an RC, all the rest went straight from a
pretest to an official release.  That is why make-tarball.txt says
what it says: it doesn't assume that a non-release tarball can become
a release by just renaming the tarball file without any changes in the
contents and in the repository.