Subject: bug#24051: 24.5; doc of `external-debugging-output'

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2018 15:29:09 +0200

> From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>,  [email-masked],  [email-masked]
> Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2018 09:22:43 +0100
> 
> > Ah, so there are.  I see some of them use @group, and some don't.  I
> > can't see any visible effect from @group so I left it out.
> 
> @group prevents page breaks in printed manuals in the following lines.

Right, and for that reason it's a good idea to use @group in this
case, to make sure @print{} doesn't get separated from the preceding
code fragment.

I actually suggest to have the Texinfo manual be loaded in some Info
buffer in your Emacs sessions; that's what I do.  Then you can quickly
consult it whenever the need arises.  That manual is very well
indexed, so finding what you need is usually a snap.

> > Hmm, it's a bit of an awkward fit, but yes, worth a mention (and actual
> > cross-references are only to nodes, not a single function entry, so "the
> > previous section" is already all the cross-reference needed, right?).
> 
> You can also declare an @anchor, and use it as target of a cross reference.

Right.  Also, the 2-argument form of @xref commands can also sometimes
land you on the text that is the second arg (at least with some Info
readers).