Subject: Re: bug#24050: 24.5; ispell-change-dictionary suggests non-existent dicts (aspell)

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2019 16:25:39 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> I think this is a mistake, and should be reverted.  It prevents users
> from telling ispell.el to switch to a dictionary that aspell/hunspell
> didn't return in the list.  That's a regression.
>
> The OP's suggestion would make sense if the list created by that
> function was only used for completion.  However, in fact we also force
> the user to specify a dictionary from the list, i.e. the selection
> must match one of the members of the list.  So this change is for the
> worse.

OK; I can revert, but I don't quite understand your objection.  If you
choose a dictionary that's not in the list aspell/hunspell returned, the
next time you hit `M-$' you'll just get an error message.  I don't
understand the utility of having ispell let you make make a choice
that'll lead to an inevitable error.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no