Subject: Re: bug#2403: 23.0.90; emacs bootstrap under AIX hangs at lisp/international/characters.el

From: Criveti Mihai <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 7 Mar 2009 01:04:25 +0200

Emacs is confiugred --with-x=no, ulimits are all unlimited.

cmihai@phobos:/home/cmihai/newbuild/emacs/src$ LC_ALL=C ./temacs
--batch --load loadup bootstrap dump
Loading loadup.el (source)...
Using load-path (/home/cmihai/newbuild/emacs/lisp
/home/cmihai/newbuild/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp
/home/cmihai/newbuild/emacs/lisp/language
/home/cmihai/newbuild/emacs/lisp/international
/home/cmihai/newbuild/emacs/lisp/textmodes)
Loading emacs-lisp/byte-run (source)...
Loading emacs-lisp/backquote (source)...
Loading subr (source)...
Loading version.el (source)...
Loading widget (source)...
Loading custom (source)...
Loading emacs-lisp/map-ynp (source)...
Loading cus-start (source)...
Loading international/mule (source)...
Loading international/mule-conf.el (source)...
Loading env (source)...
Loading format (source)...
Loading bindings (source)...
Loading /home/cmihai/newbuild/emacs/lisp/files.el (source)...
Loading /home/cmihai/newbuild/emacs/lisp/cus-face.el (source)...
Loading /home/cmihai/newbuild/emacs/lisp/faces.el (source)...
Loading /home/cmihai/newbuild/emacs/lisp/minibuffer.el (source)...
Loading /home/cmihai/newbuild/emacs/lisp/button.el (source)...
Loading /home/cmihai/newbuild/emacs/lisp/startup.el (source)...
Lists of integers (garbage collection statistics) are normal output
while building Emacs; they do not indicate a problem.
((120124 . 7654) (6419 . 3) (556 . 148) 484706 22404 (37 . 1) (22 . 5)
(9678 . 6198))
Loading /home/cmihai/newbuild/emacs/lisp/ldefs-boot.el (source)...
((142077 . 5261) (9199 . 0) (564 . 140) 1422768 22404 (107 . 33) (22 .
5) (17962 . 1946))
Loading /home/cmihai/newbuild/emacs/lisp/abbrev.el (source)...
Loading /home/cmihai/newbuild/emacs/lisp/simple.el (source)...
Loading /home/cmihai/newbuild/emacs/lisp/help.el (source)...
Loading /home/cmihai/newbuild/emacs/lisp/jka-cmpr-hook.el (source)...
Loading /home/cmihai/newbuild/emacs/lisp/epa-hook.el (source)...
Loading /home/cmihai/newbuild/emacs/lisp/international/mule-cmds.el (source)...
Loading /home/cmihai/newbuild/emacs/lisp/case-table.el (source)...
Loading /home/cmihai/newbuild/emacs/lisp/international/characters.el (source)...

Freezes here.

truss ./temacs --batch --load loadup bootstrap
statx("/home/cmihai/newbuild/emacs/lisp/case-table.el", 0x2FF219D0,
128, 010) = 0
open("/home/cmihai/newbuild/emacs/lisp/case-table.el", O_RDONLY|O_LARGEFILE) = 4
kread(4, " ; ; ;   c a s e - t a b".., 511)     = 511
klseek(4, 0, 0, 0x00000000)                     = 0
close(4)                                        = 0
statx("/home/cmihai/newbuild/emacs/lisp/case-table.el", 0x2FF21490,
128, 010) = 0
open("/home/cmihai/newbuild/emacs/lisp/case-table.el", O_RDONLY|O_LARGEFILE) = 4
close(4)                                        = 0
Loading /home/cmihai/newbuild/emacs/lisp/case-table.el
(source)...kwrite(2, " L o a d i n g   / h o m".., 66)   = 66

kwrite(2, "\n", 1)                              = 1
kfcntl(2, F_GETFL, 0x2FF22FFC)                  = 67110914
statx("/home/cmihai/newbuild/emacs/lisp/case-table.el", 0x2FF0C888,
128, 010) = 0
open("/home/cmihai/newbuild/emacs/lisp/case-table.el", O_RDONLY|O_LARGEFILE) = 4
kread(4, " ; ; ;   c a s e - t a b".., 6452)    = 6452
close(4)                                        = 0
readlink("/home", "", 100)                      Err#22 EINVAL
readlink("/home/cmihai", "", 100)               Err#22 EINVAL
readlink("/home/cmihai/newbuild", "", 100)      Err#22 EINVAL
readlink("/home/cmihai/newbuild/emacs", "", 100) Err#22 EINVAL
readlink("/home/cmihai/newbuild/emacs/lisp", "", 100) Err#22 EINVAL
readlink("/home/cmihai/newbuild/emacs/lisp/case-table.el", "", 100)
Err#22 EINVAL
statx("/home/cmihai/newbuild/emacs/lisp/international/characters.elc",
0x2FF219D0, 128, 010) Err#2  ENOENT
statx("/home/cmihai/newbuild/emacs/lisp/international/characters.elc.gz",
0x2FF219D0, 128, 010) Err#2  ENOENT
statx("/home/cmihai/newbuild/emacs/lisp/international/characters.el",
0x2FF219D0, 128, 010) = 0
open("/home/cmihai/newbuild/emacs/lisp/international/characters.el",
O_RDONLY|O_LARGEFILE) = 4
kread(4, " ; ; ;   c h a r a c t e".., 511)     = 511
klseek(4, 0, 0, 0x00000000)                     = 0
close(4)                                        = 0
statx("/home/cmihai/newbuild/emacs/lisp/international/characters.el",
0x2FF21490, 128, 010) = 0
open("/home/cmihai/newbuild/emacs/lisp/international/characters.el",
O_RDONLY|O_LARGEFILE) = 4
close(4)                                        = 0
Loading /home/cmihai/newbuild/emacs/lisp/international/characters.el
(source)...kwrite(2, " L o a d i n g   / h o m".., 80)     = 80

kwrite(2, "\n", 1)                              = 1
kfcntl(2, F_GETFL, 0x2FF22FFC)                  = 67110914
statx("/home/cmihai/newbuild/emacs/lisp/international/characters.el",
0x2FF0C888, 128, 010) = 0
open("/home/cmihai/newbuild/emacs/lisp/international/characters.el",
O_RDONLY|O_LARGEFILE) = 4
kread(4, " ; ; ;   c h a r a c t e".., 38015)   = 38015
close(4)                                        = 0
readlink("/home", "", 100)                      Err#22 EINVAL
readlink("/home/cmihai", "", 100)               Err#22 EINVAL
readlink("/home/cmihai/newbuild", "", 100)      Err#22 EINVAL
readlink("/home/cmihai/newbuild/emacs", "", 100) Err#22 EINVAL
readlink("/home/cmihai/newbuild/emacs/lisp", "", 100) Err#22 EINVAL
readlink("/home/cmihai/newbuild/emacs/lisp/international", "", 100)
Err#22 EINVAL
readlink("/home/cmihai/newbuild/emacs/lisp/international/characters.el",
"", 100) Err#22 EINVAL
statx("/home/cmihai/newbuild/emacs/etc/charsets/GB2312.map",
0x2FF20BF0, 128, 010) = 0
open("/home/cmihai/newbuild/emacs/etc/charsets/GB2312.map",
O_RDONLY|O_LARGEFILE) = 4
kfcntl(4, F_GETFL, 0x2FF22FFC)                  = 67108864
kioctl(4, 22528, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)        Err#25 ENOTTY
kioctl(4, 22528, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)        Err#25 ENOTTY
kread(4, " #   G e n e r a t e d  ".., 4096)    = 4096
kread(4, " x 5 F C 5\n 0 x 3 1 5 9".., 4096)    = 4096
kread(4, " 6 D E C\n 0 x 3 4 6 4  ".., 4096)    = 4096
kread(4, " 7 6 E   0 x 5 9 4 9\n 0".., 4096)    = 4096
kread(4, " F 6\n 0 x 3 A 7 9   0 x".., 4096)    = 4096
kread(4, " 5   0 x 8 3 0 E\n 0 x 3".., 4096)    = 4096
kread(4, "\n 0 x 4 1 3 0   0 x 6 D".., 4096)    = 4096
kread(4, " 0 x 6 6 A E\n 0 x 4 4 3".., 4096)    = 4096
kread(4, " x 4 7 4 5   0 x 6 8 6 5".., 4096)    = 4096
kread(4, " 4 A 5 0   0 x 5 E 0 2\n".., 4096)    = 4096
kread(4, " 3 1 6\n 0 x 4 D 5 B   0".., 4096)    = 4096
kread(4, " 6 5   0 x 7 E E 3\n 0 x".., 4096)    = 4096
kread(4, " 0   0 x 7 F B D\n 0 x 5".., 4096)    = 4096
kread(4, "   0 x 8 6 C 0\n 0 x 5 6".., 4096)    = 4096
kread(4, " 0 x 5 A 2 F   0 x 8 B C".., 4096)    = 4096
kread(4, " x 5 D 4 6   0 x 8 4 1 C".., 4096)    = 4096
kread(4, " 5 6 5 8\n 0 x 6 0 5 A  ".., 4096)    = 4096
kread(4, " C D 7\n 0 x 6 3 7 5   0".., 4096)    = 4096
kread(4, " 2 B   0 x 7 E D 4\n 0 x".., 4096)    = 4096
kread(4, " C\n 0 x 6 A 5 3   0 x 6".., 4096)    = 4096
kread(4, "\n 0 x 6 D 7 0 - 0 x 6 D".., 4096)    = 4096
kread(4, " 0 x 8 9 3 6\n 0 x 7 1 5".., 4096)    = 4096
kread(4, " x 7 4 7 4   0 x 8 D 9 1".., 4096)    = 3443
kread(4, " x 7 4 7 4   0 x 8 D 9 1".., 4096)    = 0
close(4)                                        = 0
close(4)                                        Err#9  EBADF
sbrk(0x00000000)                                = 0x20898000
sbrk(0x00069000)                                = 0x20898000

It just freezes here.

On Fri, Mar 6, 2009 at 11:19 PM, Criveti Mihai <[email-masked]> wrote:
> /etc/security/limits sets:
> default:
>       stack = 131072
>
> May want to try settings
>        stack = 524288
>        stack_hard = 524288
> or even higher for building Emacs.
>
> Also check ulimit -s / ulimit -a values.
>
> On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 12:27 PM, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>> From: Harald Maier <[email-masked]>
>>> Cc: [email-masked]
>>> Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 21:02:57 +0100
>>>
>>> > Could it be that Emacs doesn't have enough stack space?  (I have no
>>> > idea whether stack on AIX is statically allocated and what is its
>>> > default size.)
>>>
>>> Definitely not. Both machines has lots of resources and also Emacs 22
>>> compiles and works very well.
>>
>> On many systems, Emacs 23 needs much more stack space than Emacs 22,
>> especially when characters.el is loaded during dumping.
>>
>>> But I can verify that if you can give me some hints how to do this.
>>
>> Sorry, I don't use AIX and am not familiar with that system enough to
>> give you any useful advice.  For starters, please find out how much
>> stack temacs has when it performs this command from src/Makefile:
>>
>>        LC_ALL=C $(RUN_TEMACS) -batch -l loadup dump
>>
>> (Again, I cannot tell you how to do that on AIX, unfortunately.)
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>