Subject: Re: bug#2403: 23.0.90; emacs bootstrap under AIX hangs at lisp/international/characters.el

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 12:27:13 +0200

> From: Harald Maier <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 21:02:57 +0100
> 
> > Could it be that Emacs doesn't have enough stack space?  (I have no
> > idea whether stack on AIX is statically allocated and what is its
> > default size.)
> 
> Definitely not. Both machines has lots of resources and also Emacs 22
> compiles and works very well.

On many systems, Emacs 23 needs much more stack space than Emacs 22,
especially when characters.el is loaded during dumping.

> But I can verify that if you can give me some hints how to do this.

Sorry, I don't use AIX and am not familiar with that system enough to
give you any useful advice.  For starters, please find out how much
stack temacs has when it performs this command from src/Makefile:

	LC_ALL=C $(RUN_TEMACS) -batch -l loadup dump

(Again, I cannot tell you how to do that on AIX, unfortunately.)