Subject: 25.1.50; gnus: switching from Summary to Group sometimes puts point on wrong line

From: James Cloos <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2016 13:50:22 -0400

With current emacs master, whenever you quit a *Summary* buffer, at least
via q or c y, if you had gone from one group to another with n or k or
the like then when back in *Group* point will be on the leftmost column
of the group you first enterred from *Group* rather than on the next group,
as it use to do and still does if you quit *Summary* w/o switching its
group.

I hadn't updated since gnus' git repo became obsolete, so I can only
note that the regression occurred sometime since then.

I do know that d0c0b71d889ff223d2e5073b733f4047d541343b was the first
commit where I saw this.

In GNU Emacs 25.1.50.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars)
 of 2016-07-17 built on carbon.jhcloos.org
Repository revision: e333157cba3b4ffd7c25f8210a6aa5a21ae10de7
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11699901
System Description:	Gentoo Base System release 2.2

Recent messages:
Saving file /home/cloos/.newsrc.eld...
Wrote /home/cloos/.newsrc.eld
Saving /home/cloos/.newsrc.eld...done
Saving file /home/cloos/.newsrc...
Wrote /home/cloos/.newsrc
Saving /home/cloos/.newsrc.eld...
Adding whitespace to .newsrc.eld
Saving file /home/cloos/.newsrc.eld...
Wrote /home/cloos/.newsrc.eld
Saving /home/cloos/.newsrc.eld...done

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/usr --build=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
 --host=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu --mandir=/usr/share/man
 --infodir=/usr/share/info --datadir=/usr/share --sysconfdir=/etc
 --localstatedir=/var/lib --disable-dependency-tracking
 --disable-silent-rules --docdir=/usr/share/doc/emacs-vcs-25.1.9999-r1
 --htmldir=/usr/share/doc/emacs-vcs-25.1.9999-r1/html
 --libdir=/usr/lib64 --program-suffix=-emacs-25-vcs
 --infodir=/usr/share/info/emacs-25-vcs --localstatedir=/var
 --enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
 --with-gameuser=:gamestat --without-compress-install
 --with-file-notification=inotify --enable-acl --with-dbus --with-gpm
 --without-hesiod --with-kerberos --with-kerberos5 --with-xml2
 --without-selinux --with-gnutls --without-wide-int --with-zlib
 --with-sound=alsa --with-x --without-ns --without-gconf
 --without-gsettings --with-toolkit-scroll-bars --with-gif --with-jpeg
 --with-png --with-rsvg --with-tiff --with-xpm --with-imagemagick
 --with-xft --without-cairo --with-libotf --with-m17n-flt
 --with-x-toolkit=lucid --with-xaw3d
 GENTOO_PACKAGE=app-editors/emacs-vcs-25.1.9999-r1 'CFLAGS=-pipe -O2 -g3
 -march=native' CPPFLAGS= 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed''

Configured features:
XAW3D XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND GPM DBUS NOTIFY ACL
GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS
LUCID X11

Important settings:
  value of $LC_COLLATE: C
  value of $LC_CTYPE: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LC_TIME: C
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Group

Minor modes in effect:
  gnus-undo-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/graphviz-dot-mode/graphviz-dot-mode hides /home/cloos/elisp/graphviz-dot-mode
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/git/git-blame hides /home/cloos/elisp/git-blame
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex/context hides /home/cloos/elisp/context
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/fricas/fricas hides /home/cloos/elisp/fricas
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/git/git hides /home/cloos/elisp/git
/home/cloos/elisp/json hides /usr/share/emacs/25.1.50/lisp/json
/home/cloos/elisp/doc-view hides /usr/share/emacs/25.1.50/lisp/doc-view
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/css-mode/css-mode hides /usr/share/emacs/25.1.50/lisp/textmodes/css-mode

Features:
(shadow gnus-fun nnir emacsbug sendmail url-util shr-color color shr svg
xml dom sort gnus-cite qp mm-archive mail-extr gnus-async face-remap
quilt gnus-kill gnus-ml disp-table misearch multi-isearch nndraft nnmh
nnml utf-7 nnmaildir nnfolder network-stream nsm starttls gnus-agent
gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu
mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime dig mailcap nntp gnus-cache gnus-sum
gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source tls
gnutls utf7 netrc nnoo parse-time gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message
puny dired dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader
gnus-win gnus nnheader subr-x gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mail-utils wid-edit jka-compr mm-util mail-prsvr
paren time delsel cus-start cus-load elscreen jhc-backend-xft-fonts
w3m-load preview-latex scala-mode-auto mmm-auto mmm-vars mmm-compat
edmacro kmacro imenu ido ess-toolbar ess-mouse mouseme thingatpt
browse-url ess-menu ess-swv ess-noweb ess-noweb-font-lock-mode
ess-bugs-l essd-els ess-sas-d ess-sas-l ess-sas-a ess-sta-d ess-sta-l
cc-vars cc-defs make-regexp ess-sp6-d ess-dde ess-sp3-d ess-julia
julia-mode ert pp find-func ewoc debug ess-r-d ess-r-syntax
ess-r-completion ess-roxy essddr hideshow ess-help ess-r-package ess-s-l
ess ess-inf ess-tracebug compile tramp tramp-compat tramp-loaddefs
trampver ucs-normalize shell pcomplete comint ansi-color ring
format-spec advice ess-mode ess-noweb-mode ess-utils ess-generics cl
ess-custom executable ess-compat ess-site bbdb-loaddefs tex-site
auto-loads finder-inf package epg-config url-handlers url-parse
auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs
password-cache url-vars seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra
help-mode easymenu cconv cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib time-date mule-util
tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core term/tty-colors frame
cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai
tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian
slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese charscript
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer
cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote dbusbind inotify
dynamic-setting font-render-setting x-toolkit x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 3074433 1343213)
 (symbols 48 260392 0)
 (miscs 40 183 616)
 (strings 32 307646 795210)
 (string-bytes 1 9474578)
 (vectors 16 54993)
 (vector-slots 8 1120744 27971)
 (floats 8 672 531)
 (intervals 56 13110 522)
 (buffers 976 39)
 (heap 1024 215346 78107))