Subject: bug#24016: 25.1.50; Running diff-mode from Gnus crashes

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2016 18:38:25 +0200

This started happening a few days ago.  I would guess something has been
changed to not work in temporary buffers any more or something...

Ring any bells?  If not, I can try debugging further.

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (args-out-of-range "compile-1st-in-loadup.diff" 28 nil)
  dir-locals-collect-variables(((emacs-lisp-mode (indent-tabs-mode)) (diff-mode (mode . whitespace)) (change-log-mode (add-log-time-zone-rule . t) (fill-column . 74) (bug-reference-url-format . "http://debbugs.gnu.org/%s") (mode . bug-reference)) (log-edit-mode (log-edit-font-lock-gnu-style . t) (log-edit-setup-add-author . t)) (objc-mode (c-file-style . "GNU")) (c-mode (c-file-style . "GNU") (c-noise-macro-names "NONVOLATILE" "UNINIT")) (nil (tab-width . 8) (sentence-end-double-space . t) (fill-column . 70))) "/home/larsi/src/emacs/trunk/" nil)
  hack-dir-local-variables()
  hack-local-variables(no-mode)
  run-mode-hooks(diff-mode-hook)
  diff-mode()
  mm-display-inline-fontify((#<buffer  *mm*-923037> ("text/x-diff" (charset . "utf-8")) quoted-printable nil ("inline" (filename . "compile-1st-in-loadup.diff")) "diff" nil nil) diff-mode)
  mm-display-patch-inline((#<buffer  *mm*-923037> ("text/x-diff" (charset . "utf-8")) quoted-printable nil ("inline" (filename . "compile-1st-in-loadup.diff")) "diff" nil nil))
  mm-display-inline((#<buffer  *mm*-923037> ("text/x-diff" (charset . "utf-8")) quoted-printable nil ("inline" (filename . "compile-1st-in-loadup.diff")) "diff" nil nil))
  gnus-mime-display-single((#<buffer  *mm*-923037> ("text/x-diff" (charset . "utf-8")) quoted-printable nil ("inline" (filename . "compile-1st-in-loadup.diff")) "diff" nil nil))
  gnus-mime-display-part((#<buffer  *mm*-923037> ("text/x-diff" (charset . "utf-8")) quoted-printable nil ("inline" (filename . "compile-1st-in-loadup.diff")) "diff" nil nil))
  mapcar(gnus-mime-display-part ((#<buffer  *mm*-613106> ("text/plain") nil (lambda nil (let ((inhibit-read-only t)) (delete-region #<marker (moves after insertion) at 4433 in *Article nnimap+hermes.netfonds.no:emacs-devel*> #<marker at 5053 in *Article nnimap+hermes.netfonds.no:emacs-devel*>))) ("inline") nil nil nil) (#<buffer  *mm*-923037> ("text/x-diff" (charset . "utf-8")) quoted-printable nil ("inline" (filename . "compile-1st-in-loadup.diff")) "diff" nil nil)))
  gnus-mime-display-mixed(((#<buffer  *mm*-613106> ("text/plain") nil (lambda nil (let ((inhibit-read-only t)) (delete-region #<marker (moves after insertion) at 4433 in *Article nnimap+hermes.netfonds.no:emacs-devel*> #<marker at 5053 in *Article nnimap+hermes.netfonds.no:emacs-devel*>))) ("inline") nil nil nil) (#<buffer  *mm*-923037> ("text/x-diff" (charset . "utf-8")) quoted-printable nil ("inline" (filename . "compile-1st-in-loadup.diff")) "diff" nil nil)))
  gnus-mime-display-part((#("multipart/mixed" 0 15 (boundary "=-=-=" buffer #<buffer  *mm*> from "[email-masked]" start nil)) (#<buffer  *mm*-613106> ("text/plain") nil (lambda nil (let ((inhibit-read-only t)) (delete-region #<marker (moves after insertion) at 4433 in *Article nnimap+hermes.netfonds.no:emacs-devel*> #<marker at 5053 in *Article nnimap+hermes.netfonds.no:emacs-devel*>))) ("inline") nil nil nil) (#<buffer  *mm*-923037> ("text/x-diff" (charset . "utf-8")) quoted-printable nil ("inline" (filename . "compile-1st-in-loadup.diff")) "diff" nil nil)))
  gnus-display-mime()
  gnus-article-prepare-display()
  gnus-article-prepare(2801 nil)
  gnus-summary-display-article(2801 nil)
  gnus-summary-select-article(nil nil pseudo)
  gnus-summary-scroll-up(1)
  funcall-interactively(gnus-summary-scroll-up 1)
  call-interactively(gnus-summary-scroll-up nil nil)
  command-execute(gnus-summary-scroll-up)

In GNU Emacs 25.1.50.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.14.5)
 of 2016-07-16 built on stories
Repository revision: e333157cba3b4ffd7c25f8210a6aa5a21ae10de7
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11604000
System Description:	Debian GNU/Linux 8.5 (jessie)

Recent messages:
Opening nnmbox server...done
Reading active file via nnmbox...done
Checking new news...done
Opening nnimap server on hermes.netfonds.no...done
No more unseen articles
Entering debugger...
Mark set
Buffer  *temp* modified; kill anyway? (y or n) y
Back to top level
Making completion list... [2 times]

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND GPM DBUS GCONF GSETTINGS
NOTIFY ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Group

Minor modes in effect:
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  gnus-topic-mode: t
  gnus-undo-mode: t
  global-whitespace-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/larsi/src/cddb.el/expect hides /home/larsi/lisp/expect
/home/larsi/src/cddb.el/captitle hides /home/larsi/lisp/captitle
/home/larsi/src/clock.el/clock hides /home/larsi/lisp/clock
~/pgnus/contrib/vcard hides /home/larsi/lisp/vcard
/home/larsi/src/pvr.el/pvr hides /home/larsi/lisp/pvr
~/lisp/zenirc-2.112/src/zenirc-example hides /home/larsi/lisp/zenirc-example
~/pgnus/contrib/compface hides /home/larsi/src/emacs/trunk/lisp/image/compface

Features:
(shadow sort ecomplete emacsbug sendmail map diff-mode smiley ansi-color
gnus-cite qp mm-archive gnus-async gnus-dup gnus-ml gmane spam-gmane dns
mm-url disp-table gnus-fun gnus-mdrtn pop3 nndoc nnmbox utf-7 gnus-topic
nnml nnfolder network-stream starttls nnir spam-report spam spam-stat
gnus-uu yenc gnus-delay gnus-draft gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score
score-mode nnvirtual nntp gnus-cache gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu mml2015
mm-view mml-smime smime dig gnus-sum nndraft nnmh gnus-group gnus-undo
gnus-start gnus-cloud nnimap utf7 netrc nnoo parse-time gnus-spec
gnus-win nnmail gnus-int gnus-range mail-source message format-spec
rfc822 mml mml-sec epa epg mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader gnus nnheader
gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs mail-utils whitespace movie mkv shr svg
imdb dom pvr debug debbugs-gnu easy-mmode derived debbugs soap-client
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode url-http tls gnutls url-auth mail-parse
rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 mm-util ietf-drums mail-prsvr url-gw nsm puny
url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
url-domsuf url-util mailcap warnings rng-xsd rng-dt rng-util xsd-regexp
xml ido flyspell ispell benchmark w3m browse-url doc-view subr-x dired
dired-loaddefs image-mode timezone w3m-hist w3m-fb w3m-ems wid-edit
w3m-ccl ccl w3m-favicon w3m-image w3m-proc w3m-util add-log mail-extr
jka-compr cl finder-inf package epg-config url-handlers url-parse
auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs
password-cache url-vars seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra
help-mode easymenu cconv cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib time-date mule-util
tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core term/tty-colors frame
cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai
tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian
slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese charscript
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer
cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote dbusbind inotify
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk
x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 571010 23438)
 (symbols 48 169656 0)
 (miscs 40 82 236)
 (strings 32 212622 9803)
 (string-bytes 1 8138093)
 (vectors 16 32517)
 (vector-slots 8 860431 18661)
 (floats 8 6788 268)
 (intervals 56 510 115)
 (buffers 976 31)
 (heap 1024 104983 2357))

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no