Subject: bug#24013: 25.0.95; Emacs 25.x uses up all memory and needs to be killed

From: Achim Gratz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2016 20:15:12 +0200

Eli Zaretskii writes:
> I see.  Frankly, I feel a bit uneasy that Emacs somehow runs out of
> memory in any scenario, but other than that, would you consider
> describing this solution in PROBLEMS as good enough to go ahead with
> releasing Emacs 25.1?  Perhaps even closing this bug?

Here's my attempt at getting something into PROBLEMS.

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
diff --git a/etc/PROBLEMS b/etc/PROBLEMS
index 2b3becf..b86b2b6 100644
--- a/etc/PROBLEMS
+++ b/etc/PROBLEMS
@@ -1070,6 +1070,28 @@ while, Emacs may print a message:
 A workaround is to not use 'klipper'.  Upgrading 'klipper' to the one
 coming with KDE 3.3 or later also solves the problem.
 
+*** KDE / Plasma 5: Emacs exhausts memory and needs to be killed
+
+This problem occurs when large selections contain mixed line endings
+(i.e the buffer has LF line endings, but in some parts CRLF is used).
+The source of the problem is currently under investigation, Emacs
+versions up to 24.5 just hang for a few seconds and then return with
+the message " Timed out waiting for property-notify event" as
+described in the previous note.  As a workaround, go to the settings
+dialog for the Clipboard widget and select the option "Ignore
+Selection".
+
+Note: Plasma 5 has replaced the separate klipper process from earlier
+KDE versions with functionality directly integrated into plasmashell,
+so even if you've previously did not use klipper this will affect you.
+Also, all configuration you might have done to klipper is not used by
+the new Clipboard widget / plasmoid since it uses it's own settings.
+You can hide the Clipboard widget by removing it's entry from the
+system tray settings "Extra Items", but it's not clear if the
+underlying functionality in plasmashell gets fully disabled as well.
+AT least a restart of plasmashell is required for the clipboard
+history to be cleared.
+
 *** CDE: Frames may cover dialogs they created when using CDE.
 
 This can happen if you have "Allow Primary Windows On Top" enabled which

--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Regards,
Achim.
-- 
+<[Q+ Matrix-12 WAVE#46+305 Neuron microQkb Andromeda XTk Blofeld]>+

SD adaptations for Waldorf Q V3.00R3 and Q+ V3.54R2:
http://Synth.Stromeko.net/Downloads.html#WaldorfSDada