Subject: bug#24013: 25.0.95; Emacs 25.x uses up all memory and needs to be killed

From: Stephen Berman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2016 22:07:05 +0200

On Sun, 17 Jul 2016 20:51:33 +0200 Achim Gratz <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Eli Zaretskii writes:
>> I see.  Frankly, I feel a bit uneasy that Emacs somehow runs out of
>> memory in any scenario, but other than that, would you consider
>> describing this solution in PROBLEMS as good enough to go ahead with
>> releasing Emacs 25.1?
>
> I'll make a proposal.
>
>> Perhaps even closing this bug?
>
> Emacs shouldn't bring the machine to a halt in any case, so unless we
> can show it's a fault in Qt5/Plasma5, I'd suggest to keep it open.

FWIW, I'm running Emacs under KDE4/Qt4/Plasma4 (openSUSE 13.2, with
Klipper running) and I could not reproduce the problems you reported
with the file you posted and the recipe you gave: no cursor vanishing,
no rampant memory allocation with Emacs 25.x, and no timeout with 24.5.

Steve Berman