Subject: 25.1.50; Slow compilation of ns-win.el

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2016 14:19:21 +0200

I've been looking slightly at why "make -j8" isn't as parallel as you'd
expect, and in my tests it's because one single .el compilation job is
weirdly slow.

To test:

If I say "make bootstrap" (to get rid of everything) and then halt the
compilation after it's made bootstrap-emacs

[larsi@stories ~/src/emacs/trunk/lisp]$ time ../src/bootstrap-emacs -batch --no-site-file --no-site-lisp --eval "(setq load-prefer-newer t)" -l bytecomp -f byte-compile-refresh-preloaded -f batch-byte-compile ../lisp/term/ns-win.el

real    0m44.097s
user    0m44.156s
sys     0m0.012s

44 seconds to compile it.  From stracing, the thing it says before it
... doesn't say anything for half a minute is:

readlinkat(AT_FDCWD, "/home/larsi/src/emacs/trunk/lisp/international/uni-decomposition.el", 0x7fff42af6240, 1024) = -1 EINVAL (Invalid argument)

So...  er...  it has something to do with Unicode?

This may not be a bug or anything, but it's perhaps something that
should be looked at to speed up the initial Emacs compilation.

In GNU Emacs 25.1.50.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.14.5)
 of 2016-07-12 built on stories
Repository revision: df7774be39af76d3072a0278ef815a47bf50dfe9
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11604000
System Description:	Debian GNU/Linux 8.5 (jessie)

Recent messages:
Error reading dir-locals: (error "Invalid byte code in /home/larsi/src/emacs/trunk/lisp/emacs-lisp/cl-macs.elc")
Eager macro-expansion failure: (error "Invalid byte code in /home/larsi/src/emacs/trunk/lisp/emacs-lisp/cl-macs.elc") [8 times]
Error: (error "Invalid byte code in /home/larsi/src/emacs/trunk/lisp/emacs-lisp/cl-macs.elc")
previous-line: Beginning of buffer
Error reading dir-locals: (error "Invalid byte code in /home/larsi/src/emacs/trunk/lisp/emacs-lisp/cl-macs.elc")
Eager macro-expansion failure: (error "Invalid byte code in /home/larsi/src/emacs/trunk/lisp/emacs-lisp/cl-macs.elc") [8 times]
Error: (error "Invalid byte code in /home/larsi/src/emacs/trunk/lisp/emacs-lisp/cl-macs.elc")
Mark saved where search started
Mark set
Making completion list...

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND GPM DBUS GCONF GSETTINGS
NOTIFY ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Emacs-Lisp

Minor modes in effect:
  global-whitespace-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/larsi/src/cddb.el/expect hides /home/larsi/lisp/expect
/home/larsi/src/cddb.el/captitle hides /home/larsi/lisp/captitle
/home/larsi/src/clock.el/clock hides /home/larsi/lisp/clock
~/pgnus/contrib/vcard hides /home/larsi/lisp/vcard
/home/larsi/src/pvr.el/pvr hides /home/larsi/lisp/pvr
~/lisp/zenirc-2.112/src/zenirc-example hides /home/larsi/lisp/zenirc-example
~/pgnus/contrib/compface hides /home/larsi/src/emacs/trunk/lisp/image/compface

Features:
(shadow ecomplete emacsbug sendmail vc vc-dispatcher map pp misearch
multi-isearch copyright vc-cvs shr-color color eww gnus-html help-fns
radix-tree sort gnus-cite smiley ansi-color url-queue url-cache
mm-archive gnus-async gnus-dup qp gnus-ml gmane spam-gmane dns mm-url
disp-table gnus-fun gnus-mdrtn gnus-topic pop3 nndoc nnmbox utf-7 nnml
nnfolder network-stream starttls nnir spam-report spam spam-stat gnus-uu
yenc gnus-delay gnus-draft gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode
nnvirtual nntp gnus-cache gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view
mml-smime smime dig gnus-sum nndraft nnmh gnus-group gnus-undo
gnus-start gnus-cloud nnimap utf7 netrc nnoo parse-time gnus-spec
gnus-win nnmail gnus-int gnus-range mail-source message format-spec
rfc822 mml mml-sec epa epg mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader gnus nnheader
gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs mail-utils whitespace movie mkv shr svg
imdb dom pvr debug debbugs-gnu easy-mmode derived debbugs soap-client
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode url-http tls gnutls url-auth mail-parse
rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 mm-util ietf-drums mail-prsvr url-gw nsm puny
url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
url-domsuf url-util mailcap warnings rng-xsd rng-dt rng-util xsd-regexp
xml ido flyspell ispell benchmark w3m browse-url doc-view subr-x dired
dired-loaddefs image-mode timezone w3m-hist w3m-fb w3m-ems wid-edit
w3m-ccl ccl w3m-favicon w3m-image w3m-proc w3m-util add-log mail-extr
jka-compr cl finder-inf package epg-config url-handlers url-parse
auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs
password-cache url-vars seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra
help-mode easymenu cconv cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib time-date mule-util
tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core term/tty-colors frame
cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai
tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian
slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese charscript
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer
cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote dbusbind inotify
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk
x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 1045166 126768)
 (symbols 48 170836 0)
 (miscs 40 288 729)
 (strings 32 245855 17893)
 (string-bytes 1 14892431)
 (vectors 16 36358)
 (vector-slots 8 1122185 66612)
 (floats 8 6931 746)
 (intervals 56 60845 5795)
 (buffers 976 61)
 (heap 1024 184172 181041))

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no