Subject: Re: bug#23966: 25.1.50; Frame resizing due to tool bar + Gnus

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2020 18:02:15 +0200

OK, I'm trying to reproduce this in Emacs 28, and...  I'm getting all
kinds of strangeness.

I usually don't use tool bars, but if I just enter a summary mode buffer
and say M-x tool-bar-mode, then I don't actually get a tool bar -- I
just get a ~10-pixel high grey stripe at the top.

This may be because gnus-summary-tool-bar is
'gnus-summary-tool-bar-retro?

If, on the other hand, I switch tool-bar-mode on before starting Gnus,
then I do get a tool bar, and that variable is
'gnus-summary-tool-bar-gnome.

This is because

(defcustom gnus-summary-tool-bar (if (eq gmm-tool-bar-style 'gnome)
				     'gnus-summary-tool-bar-gnome
				   'gnus-summary-tool-bar-retro)

and

(defcustom gmm-tool-bar-style
  (if (and (boundp 'tool-bar-mode)
	   tool-bar-mode
	   (not (memq (display-visual-class)
		      (list 'static-gray 'gray-scale
		            'static-color 'pseudo-color))))
      'gnome
    'retro)
  "Preferred tool bar style."
  :type '(choice (const :tag "GNOME style" gnome)
		 (const :tag "Retro look"  retro))
  :group 'gmm)

so that's set at load time, and depends on whether you've switched tool
bar mode on or not before loading the file.  Which seems less than
optimal...

Anyway, is this a different bug than what you were all talking about?
:-)

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no