Subject: bug#23959: 25.0.94; find: missing argument to `-exec'

From: Ethan Glasser-Camp <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2016 15:27:39 -0400

1. Install fish-shell (http://fishshell.com/) and use it as your default
shell, although it may be enough to launch emacs from inside fish.

2. emacs -Q

3. M-x rgrep RET

4. any string RET

5. any directory RET

Expected result:

grep is invoked on the given directory and files are returned.

Actual result:

find: missing argument to `-exec'

I believe this is because the fish shell interprets the "{}" as a brace
expansion -- see
http://fishshell.com/docs/current/index.html#expand-brace -- and needs
the braces to be escaped. Editing the grep command using C-u and
inserting quotes around the braces makes it work as expected.

In GNU Emacs 25.0.94.1 (x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.20.4)
 of 2016-05-18 built on buildhw-10.phx2.fedoraproject.org
Windowing system distributor 'Fedora Project', version 11.0.11803000
System Description:	Fedora release 24 (Twenty Four)

Configured using:
 'configure --build=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
 --host=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu --program-prefix=
 --disable-dependency-tracking --prefix=/usr --exec-prefix=/usr
 --bindir=/usr/bin --sbindir=/usr/sbin --sysconfdir=/etc
 --datadir=/usr/share --includedir=/usr/include --libdir=/usr/lib64
 --libexecdir=/usr/libexec --localstatedir=/var
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --mandir=/usr/share/man
 --infodir=/usr/share/info --with-dbus --with-gif --with-jpeg --with-png
 --with-rsvg --with-tiff --with-xft --with-xpm --with-x-toolkit=gtk3
 --with-gpm=no --with-xwidgets build_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
 host_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu 'CFLAGS=-DMAIL_USE_LOCKF -O2 -g
 -pipe -Wall -Werror=format-security -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
 -fexceptions -fstack-protector-strong --param=ssp-buffer-size=4
 -grecord-gcc-switches -specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-hardened-cc1
 -m64 -mtune=generic' LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro
 PKG_CONFIG_PATH=:/usr/lib64/pkgconfig:/usr/share/pkgconfig'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND DBUS GCONF GSETTINGS NOTIFY
ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 XWIDGETS

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
Loading /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start.d/desktop-entry-mode-init.el (source)...done
Loading /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start.d/git-init.el (source)...done
Loading /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start.d/mercurial-site-start.el (source)...done
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
You can run the command ‘set-variable’ with M-x s-va RET
Loading sendmail...done
user-error: Value ‘(quote header)’ does not match type choice of mail-envelope-from
M-p is undefined
You can run the command ‘set-variable’ with M-x s-va RET
Grep exited abnormally with code 1

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message idna format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec password-cache epg epg-config gnus-util mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader find-dired
dired grep compile comint ansi-color ring sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils cus-edit cus-start cus-load
wid-edit thingatpt help-fns help-mode easymenu cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib
time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset
image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cl-generic cham
georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese charscript case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting xwidget-internal move-toolbar
gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 114420 7060)
 (symbols 48 21837 0)
 (miscs 40 94 116)
 (strings 32 19996 4525)
 (string-bytes 1 562787)
 (vectors 16 13396)
 (vector-slots 8 444288 4260)
 (floats 8 179 7)
 (intervals 56 325 0)
 (buffers 976 13)
 (heap 1024 22685 1616))