Subject: bug#23935: 25.1.50; simple reproducible crash for emacs -Q: `M-: (+ 1997 120 400)'

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2016 17:18:03 +0300

> Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2016 13:51:50 +0000 (UTC)
> From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> > It sounds like the problem is with the Uniscribe DLL, usp10.dll.  How
> > many of those do you have on your system, and in what directories?
> 
> I guess I don't have any of them.
> Searching C: and D: drives for usp10.dll found nothing.

This cannot be true.  Don't you have one in C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64 and
another one in C:\WINDOWS\system32?  If you didn't, I think all other
Emacs versions would have crashed.

This DLL comes with Windows out of the box, so it must be somewhere.

Do you have Process Explorer installed?  If not, can you install it
from the Microsoft Sysinternals site,
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/processexplorer?
That program can show the DLLs loaded by Emacs when it runs, so you
can see whether Emacs loads the DLL, and its full absolute file name.

> > Also, do you see the crashes in the Windows Event Viewer (under
> > Application)?  If so, please post the details of one such log entry.
> 
> Dunno what that means.  You will need to give specific instructions.

Right-click "Computer" and select "Manage".  Expand "Event Viewer",
then expand "Windows Logs", then click on Application.  After a few
seconds, you will be presented with a list of events; look for ones
labeled "Error" around the time of a crash.  Double-clicking on such a
line will show the details of the crash.

> The latest build I have is this pretest, which also crashes using C-h H
> from runemacs -Q, but which does not crash with C-h H from emacs -Q -xrm Emacs.fontBackend:gdi.

Very strange.