Subject: bug#23935: 25.1.50; simple reproducible crash for emacs -Q: `M-: (+ 1997 120 400)'

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2016 08:15:01 +0300

> Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2016 17:52:07 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> > > > Middle/Near East was successful.  Clicking once more crashed Emacs.
> > >
> > > Looks like your problem is more basic than just one font.  Do other
> > > (older) Emacs versions also crash trying to display HELLO?
> > 
> > One more thing to try is start Emacs like this:
> > 
> >   emacs -Q -xrm Emacs.fontBackend:gdi
> > 
> > and then see if "C-h H" crashes Emacs.
> 
> No, it does not crash (I used runemacs instead of emacs - let me know
> if that invalidates the test).

I don't think this invalidates the test, but please also try with
emacs.

It sounds like the problem is with the Uniscribe DLL, usp10.dll.  How
many of those do you have on your system, and in what directories?
Also, do you see the crashes in the Windows Event Viewer (under
Application)?  If so, please post the details of one such log entry.

Finally, if you can get hold of a later binary of Emacs 25, please try
that as well.  I'd like to be sure we are not chasing a wild goose
here.

Thanks.