Subject: Re: bug#23927: 25.0.94; Errors when updating using package.el

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2016 10:19:33 +0300

> From: Live System User <[email-masked]>
> Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2016 00:17:03 -0400
> 
>         When updating a package `(package-menu-mark-upgrades)',
>         I got the following errors/warnings:
> 
> package-activate-1: Required feature ‘info’ was not provided

A recipe to reproduce this will be appreciated.  The 'info' feature
comes with Emacs, so the only way I could understand how this can
happen is that somehow load-path doesn't include the standard
directories when this code is run.  But why and how could that happen?

> Invalid face reference: package-status-builtin-face
> Invalid face reference: package-status-builtin-face [3 times]

A typo?  From package.el:

  (defface package-status-built-in
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    '((t :inherit font-lock-builtin-face))
    "Face used on the status and version of built-in packages."
    :version "25.1")

  (defface package-status-external
    '((t :inherit package-status-builtin-face))
                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    "Face used on the status and version of external packages."
    :version "25.1")

Would package.el gurus please take a look at this?  These sound like
very basic problems in package.el, so I'd hate to release 25.1 with
them.