Subject: Re: bug#23927: 25.0.94; Errors when updating using package.el

From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2016 20:51:52 -0400

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> package-activate-1: Required feature 'info' was not provided
>
> A recipe to reproduce this will be appreciated.  The 'info' feature
> comes with Emacs, so the only way I could understand how this can
> happen is that somehow load-path doesn't include the standard
> directories when this code is run. 

The above error actually means that the first "info.el" found in
load-path did not "(provide 'info)", not that no "info.el" was found.

> But why and how could that happen?

The OP has some broken info.el early in their load-path, presumably one
that isn't part of Emacs.

> A typo?  From package.el:

Looks like a clear typo.

>   (defface package-status-built-in

It is a shame this was named "built-in" (with hyphen), when compared to
the long-standing "font-lock-builtin-face" (without hyphen) from which
it inherits.