Subject: bug#23926: defcustom with STANDARD=<non-pure-expression> gives confusing results

From: Noam Postavsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2016 08:55:48 -0400

On Sat, Jul 9, 2016 at 8:31 AM, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> From: [email-masked]
>> Cc: [email-masked]
>> Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2016 07:54:58 -0400
>>
>> Yeah, it seems expected because you're familiar with the code.  But it
>> causes Emacs to claim the "original" value is different from what it
>> originally was, which seems nonsensical.
>
> It's not nonsensical, it's what actually happens, AFAIK.

What actually happens is that Emacs goes back in time to change what
the original value was? Perhaps the dates in etc/future-bug are wrong
then ;)

>
>> I wonder why Emacs saves only the original expression and not the
>> actual original value?
>
> It does, but then it reevaluates at startup.

It seems it's also reevaluated every time the variable is looked at
with customize, or describe-variable.