Subject: bug#23925: 25.0.95; display broken when maximizing frame

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2016 10:11:45 +0300

> Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2016 22:02:23 -0500
> From: "Roland Winkler" <[email-masked]>
> 
> 
> After a long time I build again a more recent emacs.  Unfortunately
> it gives me a rather unpleasant experience when maximizing the emacs
> frame (using the maximize function of the xfce window manager):
> somehow the frame is not redrawn properly, emacs seems to be unaware
> of the new frame size and the minibuffer disappears completely.
> Instead the desktop background is displayed in large parts of the
> emacs frame.  Unmaximizing makes the problem go away.  But obviously
> that is no solution.  I can provide more details if you let me know
> what would be interesting.

Yes, please provide more details.  We are very interested, as we are
close to releasing Emacs 25.1, of which 25.0.95 is the latest
pretest.  What you told so far is disturbing, but doesn't give any
clues where to look for the root cause of the trouble.  I don't think
we've heard such reports in a long, long time.

> Configured using:
>  'configure --with-xwidgets --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-cairo'

One idea I do have is to build without --with-cairo, and see if the
problem goes away.  The Cairo back-end is still experimental, and we
know of several problems with it.

Thanks.