Subject: bug#23925: 25.0.95; display broken when maximizing frame

From: "Roland Winkler" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2016 10:46:21 -0500

On Sun Jul 10 2016 Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>   The Emacs Cairo port is experimental and still has some known
>   display problems.  We encourage more testing of this port and
>   reporting any problems you find, but it is not recommended for
>   production.

How about putting something like this also in the NEWS file.  The
current description of the cairo port in NEWS is rather optimistic
and it appears quite prominently as the very beginning of NEWS.
Someone who doesn't build emacs by himself but only reads NEWS might
then be disappointed if his build does not include the cairo port.
(The support for built-in printing described in NEWS sounds quite
attractive.  It's something I have missed for a long time.  Only few
people might recognize that the price for this is that cairo affects
all kinds of innermost emacs internals beyond the built-in printing
support.  And the current status of this does not match the maturity
one is otherwise used to with released versions of emacs.)

(I am not even sure I'd wanted to call the cairo port an
"Installation Change", which again suggests to me that it was a less
significant change.)

Roland