Subject: Re: bug#23917: Please consider making Bug #23917 a blocker for 25.1 (was Re: org-capture: Capture template ‘g’: Match data clobbered by buffer modification hooks)

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2016 17:26:15 +0300

> From: [email-masked]
> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked],  [email-masked],  [email-masked],  [email-masked],  [email-masked]
> Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2016 23:00:59 -0400
> 
> > Please also make sure bug#23869 is still fixed after this.
> 
> Following the recipe in
> http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=23869#11 gives me 'Lisp
> error: (error "Match data clobbered by buffer modification hooks")',
> that indicates it's still fixed, right?

Yes, but I thought we want to remove the error-out code.  Since we now
protect ourselves from clobbered data, we don't need that extra
protection, and I think leaving it in place will cause false positives
(as a few people already reported).  That's because the adjustment of
the search registers in the new function you introduce will itself
trigger the error message, won't it?

Perhaps we should error out only if the number of registers changed,
because that can never be valid, I think.