Subject: bug#23914: 24.5; tramp-get-remote-path fails with some shells if tramp-own-remote-path is used

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2016 13:38:28 +0200

Joel Ray Holveck <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Joel,

> On FreeBSD, if tramp-own-remote-path is a member of, then using tramp's
> sudo method raises an error similar to:
>
>     byte-code: `/bin/sh -l -c 'echo 9905dea968fdd4a549d307a722e8109b \"$PATH\"'' returns with error

Well, meanwhile Tramp doesn't raise an error anymore. It simply ignores
it, what's not a solution, I know.

> On FreeBSD, /bin/sh does not accept the -l flag.  bash, dash, and ksh
> do, but that's not part of the POSIX shell requirements (see
> http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/utilities/sh.html), and
> historically the Bourne shell doesn't.

Unfortunately, Posix does not specify how to force a login shell,
evaluating its ~/.profile and friends. If somebody knows a portable way,
how one could determine the $PATH settings of a login shell, I'll add it
to Tramp happily.

Best regards, Michael.