Subject: bug#23914: 24.5; tramp-get-remote-path fails with some shells if tramp-own-remote-path is used

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2016 12:05:06 +0200

Michael Albinus <[email-masked]> writes:

> I have added a note to the Tramp manual about this restriction (the
> remote shell must support -l in order to use tramp-own-remote-path). I
> have no idea what could be done else, so I propose to close this bug.

Since commit 5126b7d6c201f95fde0d817a64620d152c1c15e1 in Emacs master,
Tramp supports the usage of the ENV environment variable. This could be
used as alternative in cases the remote shell does not support the "-l"
argument.

The Tramp manual says:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
Setting the ‘ENV’ environment variable instructs some shells to
read an initialization file.  Per default, TRAMP has disabled this.
You could overwrite this behaviour by evaluating

     (let ((process-environment tramp-remote-process-environment))
       (setenv "ENV" "$HOME/.profile")
       (setq tramp-remote-process-environment process-environment))
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Could you please check whether this works for you, instead of using
`tramp-own-remote-path'?

Best regards, Michael.