Subject: bug#23910: [Guix Info][7.1.5] Should warn user about losing Internet or DNS connection

From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2016 18:10:35 +0200

Hi!

Eus <[email-masked]> skribis:

> When downloading substitutes via wireless connection, several times I
> encountered a case where the host name of hydra cannot be
> resolved. So, the "guix system init" fails and suggests the use of
> "--fallback" option. However, rather than continuing with "guix system
> --fallback init", one should actually try "dhclient -v
> WIRELESS_INTERFACE_NAME" first and then do "guix system init" again
> instead of "guix system --fallback init". My installation process is
> now going well with this strategy. Previously, I kept using
> "--fallback" that didn't solve the problem due to network connectivity
> error because using "--fallback" brought up built errors.

Are you installing GuixSD 0.10.0?

I would personally find it weird to warn about the possibility of losing
Internet connection.  This is outside the scope of GuixSD, in a way.

WDYT?

However, in the past people reported that nscd, the name service cache
daemon, would sometimes fail without any good reason.  If you think that
is the case, then this is definitely a bug that we should be
addressing.

Thanks,
Ludo’.